Murray Transaxle Replacement

/ Murray Transaxle Replacement #1  

bill46

Tractor
Murray

The hydrostatic trans-axle in my 1996 42910x92C,Peerless prt #794643 has slowed down to the point where it no longer wants to move. It will still go forward, but very slowly and nothing in reverse. I noticed oil dripping from the bottom of the non serviceable transmission. There is no replacement available from Peerless, or the manufacturers agent.
Otherwise this tractor is in good shape. Will a Tuff Torq K57 fit and work in this tractor?:confused:

/ Murray Transaxle Replacement #2  
Bill46 - check here - Pat's Small Engine Parts - looks like they have one - listed as part # TEC794643

TECUMSEH PEERLESS TRANSMISSIONS AND HYDRO PUMPS

I ordered mine from here a year or two ago - was exactly as specified. I order most of my parts from here now - they are an excellent operation and usually the best price

I have a 2001 Murray that has been unstoppable - I destroyed the transaxle by dragging a chain harrow on steep hills - basically "boiled" the oil to the point it was spewing out of the relief valve. This caused the symptoms you described. However, I actually replaced the transmission fluid in it - even though it is not serviceable, there is a port were you can remove and replace the oil and Tecumseh actually sells the correct fluid. This bought me two years before it started going bad again - so then I just replaced the whole unit

Let us know how you make out