huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ??

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
at work we just got what i guess is a LT 3800 a huskee 38" cut / 12.5hp brigs I believe. mtd .. etc.

anyway.

the thing has a 6spd tranny.

neat lil machine. I mowed with it a couple times. got a question on the trans. is this some sort of hydrostat tranny? it doesn't feel like a striaght belt/gear.... when you let out the clutch you 'come up' to speed.. and then it levels out. remoinds me of fluid coupling or similar. maybee TC....

just wondering... also.. at super low idle, and you put it in 1st gear, after it has been setting overnight. it won't move at all... if you reve it up and / or choose another gear.. it kicks in :)

anyway. neat lil mower. we needed one at work for a while. if my murray ever dies. thsi will be the ticket..

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #2  
at work we just got what i guess is a LT 3800 a huskee 38" cut / 12.5hp brigs I believe. mtd .. etc.

anyway.

the thing has a 6spd tranny.

neat lil machine. I mowed with it a couple times. got a question on the trans. is this some sort of hydrostat tranny? it doesn't feel like a striaght belt/gear.... when you let out the clutch you 'come up' to speed.. and then it levels out. remoinds me of fluid coupling or similar. maybee TC....

just wondering... also.. at super low idle, and you put it in 1st gear, after it has been setting overnight. it won't move at all... if you reve it up and / or choose another gear.. it kicks in :)

anyway. neat lil mower. we needed one at work for a while. if my murray ever dies. thsi will be the ticket..

Most of the newer ones are a belt driven (belt is the coupler) with a hydrogear rear transaxle, many are non serviceable.

Nothing like the good old peerless full hst in the garden tractors of old.

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #3  
If it is the gear drive system, the tranny is actually a single speed tranny, with a two belt drive system, and a variable pulley between the two belts. the speed changes because the variable changes the belt ratio to spin the input pulley on the tranny faster. If the belts are getting worn, it can cause belt slippage which could be the low speed problem.

the other common problem is people will drive to a spot to part the mower, and leave the speed lever in a high speed setting, let the clutch out, and shut the mower off. If you then restart the mower, and move to a lower speed selection the mower won't move, because the belts are aligned for a higher speed, and can't grip the belt until moved to a higher speed selection to reset the belt ratio.

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ??
mower is brand new. like 10 hours on it. so no wear.

I am kind of hoping for a belt to hydro setup.. that would be ideal..

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #5  
That unit runs a 2 belt vari drive system. It may need the shift lever rod adjusted a turn or two.

please explain. so far looks like a cable engagement for gear selection, and a shuttle tyle selector for F-N-R

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #7  
OK, you have a transaxle in the unit that has forward-neutral-reverse. then you have 2 belts, one from the engine to a vari drive pulley, the other smaller belt runs from the transaxle to the vari drive pulley. One belt on top the other on the bottom of the vari drive pulley. As you move the shifter it moves the vari drive pulley which is mounted on a pivot plate. The pivot plate has a spring on it to pull it and the cable will pull it the opposite direction giving you the different speeds as it moves it changes the belts riding up or down on the vari drive. If you were to pull the battery out and look you should be able to see the vari drive. If you start it, pull the battery, put it in neutral and run the shifter up and down you will see how it works.
You can see larger types of this drive on gas powered golf carts, mini bikes, off road buggys, etc.

Parts and Diagrams for MTD 13WC76LF231 (2010)

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #8  
That unit shows a rod not cable for the speed selector. either way it should have a ferrule that you can adjust the selector. Use your model # to look it up.

it's at work, but i'll take a look.

sure looked like a cable from what i saw.. but then i didn't have it apart either.

now. question.

it goes into all speeds fine ( 6spd ). what is the adjustment doing.. and where is it at. on a pulley or spring ( tension? ) or what? it is shifting positively between the n/stop w/ park brake and 1-6

thanks

/ huskee 12.5hp / 38" cut lt3800 ?? #10  
When you move the shifter from 6 down to 1 then there should be a "park" setting. the adjustment just moves the pivot plate forward or back. If it dosent always go into first, just need to move the ferrule
a turn or two. you will know if you go the wrong way as problem will get worse, or get where you want it.