transaxle grease

/ transaxle grease #1  

holzboat

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4110, JD X595, JD 4100
Working on a Troy Bilt Bronco J 609 that went partially under in Hurricane Sandy. Opened up the trans axle to clean things up and replace the grease but can't find the spec'd grease. Anyone know where to find MTD part # 737-0289. Unirex N3 grease, it's an Exxon Mobil product. Maybe someone knows a substitute for this.

/ transaxle grease #2  
MTD part # 737-0289. Unirex N3 grease, it's an Exxon Mobil product. Maybe someone knows a substitute for this.[/QUOTE]

I have had good luck with the auto parts store chains.. they often have knowledgeable folks Also the independent lawn and tractors dealers.. We have a Husky dealer in our are who is very helpful.....( just don't buy drive belts there :))
Chet

/ transaxle grease
I've tried all the usual places. So far only one person had ever heard of it but didn't know where to get it. Everyone else looked at me like I was from another planet. Even the larger outdoor power equip. guys said they don't really ever rebuild them, just replace them with new sealed units.

/ transaxle grease
MTD has a new part # 737-0300A for the grease. A bit pricey, about $25 for 8 oz. You'd think the dealers would have some sort of cross reference guide, but all that I spoke with were at a loss as to what to use.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else looks for this info in the future.

/ transaxle grease #5  
I am going to be putting 2 bearings and 4 bushings in a 6 speed spicer 4360-83 . I will be using Lucas' Red and Tacky Red 'N' Tacky Grease