2011 Troybilt Pony Surging/Popping

/ 2011 Troybilt Pony Surging/Popping #1  

TroybiltPony

Tractor
2011 Troybilt Pony by MTD
I picked up back on easter of this year a 2011 troybilt pony with a 17.5 Briggs Powerbuilt for $100. It was from a relative and he cut me a good deal on it. However when I got it you can mow with it but, it surges and pops occasionally while running. I had to have the carb cleaned bowl was really dirty and a jet was stopped up. My relative had a year ago or so purchased from somone else and said it ran rough like that when he got it. It runs smooth when a load is placed on the engine i.e. engaging the blades and runs fine mowing starts easy just doesn't run smooth when blades aren't engaged at any throttle position. I was told I may need to have the carb dipped in carb cleaner and rebuilt. I have been told as well by someone else that there is no way to fix it. It seems since I had it cleaned it does a little bit better but, I am looking for some pointers as to where to go next cause it is rather aggravating to me for it to run like that. I have had two other mowers in the past with the 17.5 briggs OHV single that ran fine. Any help is appreciated but, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Sorry for a long post.