/ MTD Yardman 700 series #1  

olliesL110

Tractor
JD L110 Auto
MTD 42 Yardman 7speed shift on the go transmission
Model No: 13A7771G670
Serial No: 1E156B70247000001
Tecumseh 20HP V Twin

Hi all, an Aussie down under looking for help.

I am helping an old friend out his 2006 (MTD 42 Yardman 7speed shift on the go transmission) had a problem with the cutter deck which I have fixed.

On testing it to make sure all was good, I was driving down a slope and noticed that the mower does this weird thing that is very hard to describe so bare with me.

It is like the wheels suddenly let go (freewheel) for a fraction of a second then grip and repeat until you get onto a flat surface, a bit like a stutter or kangaroo hopping.
The steeper the incline the worse it gets and is more prominent in lower gears but is fine on level ground or going uphill.

After checking for possible causes I noticed the variable speed drive belt, was shot with large chunks out of it.
After replacing it (a bugger of a job I had to lower the trans-axle to fit it) I tested it again and it was a lot better but still doing the same, just not quite as harsh or frequent.

Am I on the right track in assuming/hoping the problem is related to the belt/variable drive setup somehow.
Is there any thing I can adjust or do to fix the problem as I am stumped at the moment.

Many thanks in advance