B&S Engine problems

/ B&S Engine problems #11  
You can polish the magnets all you want, won't matter, polishing the coil mounting surfaces will.

Walt Conner

/ B&S Engine problems #12  
If this is a twin cylinder opposed B&S engine, you have a vacuum fuel pump. It's getting vapor locked. Take the pump apart, clean and replace the diaphram.
hugs, Brandi

/ B&S Engine problems
Fawken,

Air filter element was new this spring. Foam prefilter was just cleaned about a week ago. So far, it looks like the main problem is the coil and / or fuel pump. Being on a tight fixed income, the $50.00 coil is off the page for now.

Thanks for the tip.

Dave

/ B&S Engine problems
Walt,

Fuel line does NOT go through the cooling shroud. I'll try pinching off the fuel line next time I get it running and see if that helps. I can put a valve in line if it does. As in my last post, It looks like either coil or fuel pump at this point. Budget says nothing expensive for repairs at this time.

Thanks for the tip.

Dave

/ B&S Engine problems
Mysfyt,

Fuel cap was one of the first things I checked. It is venting properly. I did clean the dirt off the magnets and coil. I did not POLISH them, just removed loose dirt and rust flakes, then PROPERLY set the air gap between the coil and flywheel. As above, I think it is in the coil, fuel pump, or possibly carb float valve.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave

/ B&S Engine problems #16  
I mis read your posts last night. I just re read them. After running it after a few minutes , shut it off, remove one spark plug at a time....connect the plug back to the spark plug wire and while the spark plug threads are touching metal on the engine, try to start the engine. This works best in a dark area. You should see blue arcs from the electrode gap of the plug to the engine. No spark.............coil is hot and shorting out internally. Need new coil. If you got good spark when checking above on both plugs...............fuel line is vapor locked from the heat. Try dripping fuel straight into the carb. and try to start it. If it starts, or tries to start then...........it for sure is vapor locked from the heat and the fuel pump can't overcome the vapor lock.
hugs, Brandi

/ B&S Engine problems
bindian,

Well, I think I have found the problems (YES, plural). The coil gives no spark when warm, AND intake manifold appears to have raw fuel under the carb when warm.

SOOO, I need to get a new coil and a rebuild kit for the carb / fuel pump combination. Cost will be just over $110.00, so will have to wait until budget allows it.

Dave

/ B&S Engine problems #18  
bindian,

Well, I think I have found the problems (YES, plural). The coil gives no spark when warm, AND intake manifold appears to have raw fuel under the carb when warm.

SOOO, I need to get a new coil and a rebuild kit for the carb / fuel pump combination. Cost will be just over $110.00, so will have to wait until budget allows it.

Dave
Glad I could help.
hugs, Brandi