Cute Little MTD Log Splitter

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
There have been plenty of threads about splitters here..... TPH splitters, stand alone splitters, different brands and whatnot. I always stand up for the MTD splitters sold at the big box stores, and finally i have a couple pictures to back it up. I bought this splitter at the Depot about two years ago. It is the 27 ton with the 5.5 Honda motor. The 25 ton has a 6hp Briggs... and from what i can see.... the two are identical except for the motor. Unsure how .5 less hp = 2 additional tons of splitting force !!! Anyway.... i've had people tell me they are cute little splitters. Over thanksgiving weekend i split some big elm. For anyone who isn't aware.... elm is some of the gnarliest stuff to split..... especially when it is green. Of all the hardwoods i've had my hands on, its by far the stringiest, toughest stuff to split. I can't imagine ever trying to split it by hand. I didn't measure the chunks, but they were big enough that i'm glad i had my FIL's help in placing them on the splitter with his Bobcat (any excuse to pull the Bobcat out of the shed !!). It went through the elm like a hot knife through butter !! I'm sure there are bigger and better splitters out there, but for anyone thinking about buying one of the little MTD splitters at the big box stores...... i'm here to tell you it WILL do the job !!

Attachments

• Evan Tree Cutting Photos036 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos036 (Small).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,075
  • Evan Tree Cutting Photos037 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos037 (Small).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,561
  • Evan Tree Cutting Photos038 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos038 (Small).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Evan Tree Cutting Photos039 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos039 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Evan Tree Cutting Photos042 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos042 (Small).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,462
  • Evan Tree Cutting Photos044 (Small).JPG
    Evan Tree Cutting Photos044 (Small).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,715
   / Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #2  
Think you can bring it over so I can split this one??? Thats not me in the pic its a logger at my neighbors. Had to borrow my Husqvarna 385 w/ 36" bar to level it.

Attachments

• Husqvarna 385 tree3.jpg
    Husqvarna 385 tree3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,122
   / Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #3  
ive got the sears version of the 27 ton splitter. i love the thing. only snapped off the valve twice. once my hand got in the way when the oak log split and popped , one side went @10 feet the other hit my hand that was on the valve, good thing i can weld....jon

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #4  
I have the same splitter. I've split over 150 cord of mixed hardwoods in the last three years. The only problem was the actuator lever broke off because the aluminum casting that holds it was full of voids. I think the new one was $15. Excellent unit.

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #5  
And the price paid for this splitter was..............?

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter
Champy said:
And the price paid for this splitter was..............?

I bought mine during a sale at the Depot....... i don't remember exactly, but the sale price was around $1,100 if my memory serves me correctly.

A helpful hint: There are two small brackets on either side of the splitter, apparently to help hold, or hold part of the log you are splitting. I made a shelf out of 3/4 inch plywood and bolted it to the bracket on the far side of the splitter (may be visible in the pictures). Wanted to see if it would work as i had hoped. I plan on making a permanent shelf out of steel next spring. It works great..... when splitting a log, you can rest half the log on the shelf after the first split.... allowing you to finish making more splits on the other half. This beats the heck out of letting the piece fall on the ground, and having to pick it up again to get it back on the splitter.

These splitters will split vertically as well (if you don't have a FIL with a Bobcat and a set of tongs).... but i don't like scooching down after every split.

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #7  
mine was $100. some one bouught it broke the hyd lever off and took it back to sears.... well my dad worked for sears and they sold it to him/me to get it out of the way i welded a $2 3/4 inch pipe nipple to the cyl and better than new...

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #8  
Picture looks kind of misleading. Large diameter log, but doesn't really look that thick, and it looks like the narrowest edge was put under wedge first. Not saying it's not a good splitter, pretty much anything beats an axe, but I was expecting something else from the description. Wish I had one.

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter
BTDT said:
Picture looks kind of misleading. Large diameter log, but doesn't really look that thick, and it looks like the narrowest edge was put under wedge first. Not saying it's not a good splitter, pretty much anything beats an axe, but I was expecting something else from the description. Wish I had one.

My stove takes a 16" stick, so thats how thick that piece of elm is..... give or take a half inch.

/ Cute Little MTD Log Splitter #10  
ductape,

Your MTD looks like it can do the job.

Looking at Photos #044 and #042 I see the wedge on your hydraulic ram pushing through the log.

Questions:

- If the fellow in the ball cap standing by the motor was not there to handle the half log, could the half log topple onto the motor or the wheel?

- Does the motor and wheel get in the way when the fellow in the ball cap works to handle the log?

- Would a design with the hydraulic ram pushing the log into a wedge vs. pushing a wedge through the log be a better option?

Appreciate your comments and thanks for sharing.

corey