New Holland Haybine

/ New Holland Haybine #1  

pengs68

Bronze Member
Tractor
FARMALL M, FORD 4600, FORD 2000
Hello. I am looking for a 488 or 1465 NH Haybine just outside of Albany NY. Anybody know how much different the 488 and 1465 are. I cant seem to find any dealers close by that have both so I could check them out. Thanks!

/ New Holland Haybine
Tractorman, send me some pics. I am not opposed to a pre-owned in good shape.

/ New Holland Haybine #4  
The 488 and 1465 are both current model NH haybines, the 492 is an old model 1465.

The 488 uses a float that is only horizontal where the 1465 uses a lateral float system that allows the head to raise either side depending onthe ground conditions.

/ New Holland Haybine
Thanks Art. Checked out a new 488 last weekend. Its a real nice machine. Especially when we are mowing with a 1971 NH 467 that has seen thousands of acres. The 1465 is about $3000 more than the 488. Got a liitle time to decide before cutting in June.

/ New Holland Haybine
Decided on the 488 and bought it this week. It is in the shed now. I cant wait for June to try it out. The 1465 was a nice machine but cost $3000 more. I was kind of sad to see the old NH 467 haybine go, it has mowed 1000's of acres with minimal repair. But just the extra 2 feet is going to be a great time saver.

/ New Holland Haybine #7  
To gain the two feet of cut with no noticeable difference in horsepower will make you wonder what took you so long!!

/ New Holland Haybine #8  
What is the main difference between the 488 and 1465? From reading over the specs it appears the 1465 has a floating head, an extra bat on the reel, a couple hundred more pounds in weight and worth $3000 more. I will admit I don't have much knowledge of the current haybines since I switched to a discbine I haven't looked back but the main difference according to the specs is the floating head. I can't see that being a $3k option so Art or anyone can you please let me know more about the substancial differences between these two machines?

I will admit, I love running my discbine because of the speed but I miss the old 489 haybine. I don't miss fighting with it as the rubber had started coming off the roller so it kept wrapping hay up but it was fun to watch the reel move the hay into the cutter. The discbine is boring, you just drive and drive and don't have anything to look at. The hay goes under the shroud and leaves a trail behind:rolleyes: Maybe I should mount a reel on my disbine:D

/ New Holland Haybine #9  
In addition to the floating head, on the 1465 the rollers are gear driven, while on the 488 the rollers are chain driven.

/ New Holland Haybine #10  
Is the gear drive suppose to be a better system? Given the price difference I am assuming so.