Opinions on a NH 640 round baler?

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #1  

CumminsLuke

Silver Member
Ok guys. I am real close to making a deal on a NH 640 round baler to pull behind my M7040. I have done a lot of research on this series of balers and I have decided it is just what I am wanting. But I want some real world opinions before I plunk down the cash. I know a picture doesn't say much, but here she is.............

1974973936_wm.jpg

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler?
Well, now I'm not so sure. I asked him for some pictures of all the drive sprockets and they are all pretty pointy. I think this old girl has got a lot of wear. Maybe I ought to spend a couple thousand more and move up to a 644?

Here is an awful sharp one in TN for $7,900........................

New Holland 644 Baler-Round

The first one I have got him down to $4250 by the way.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #3  
If you are buying a New Holland round baler and NOT looking for one with net wrap (just twine) I would find a baler with auto wrap. The mechanically driven twine wrapping system is almost trouble free, and the only electrical stuff is a full bale alarm which you can operate without if need be. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Bale Command balers, but as machines age, less electronics, and less older generation electronics at that, is probably better.

Edit: the 644 is a nice looking auto wrap baler.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #4  
The 644 sure looks sharp in the photos. How are the belts on the 640? The paint is pretty faded like it has spent most of its life sitting out. The sun is rough on the belts and if it has a lot of use the could be pretty well worn out. That could make up the price difference between the 2 with all else being equal. Rain also is really bad on the bearings in the rollers. $4250 is a pretty cheap price though for a working baler.

The belts on the 640 are a little rough. They are working, but I'd probably put at least three new ones in it, and by the time you do three, why not six?

I don't know, I am really in a pickle.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #6  
Just noticed you own a CIH 8420. Won't a NH640 be a step sideways or backwards in terms of age?

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #7  
I just checked online pricing for belts (from CCI) and they are showing to be $135 apeice.

RickB said:
Just noticed you own a CIH 8420. Won't a NH640 be a step sideways or backwards in terms of age?

Their about the same age machines. But the 8420 is a much smaller and lower capacity machine. I had it for when I only had 47 gross hp tractors(Kubota M4700 and JD 4700). But it is slow, it only has spring tension, not hydraulic, it has manual tie, and the bales are too small for my liking. Don't get me wrong, if you had a 30-45 hp tractor it is a good machine, but on a 68 gross hp tractor it is not ideal. I think I got it sold.

Last edited:
I am getting more confused by the second. I showed a guy who is a real ace on NH balers the sprocket pics and he said they are not that bad. I really don't want to spend anymore money upfront than what I am getting out of my other one, which is $4,000. If I had to do a few repairs no prob. I am not making that much money baling hay, even though it is bringing $50 a bale around here. I don't want to get into my savings to go up to something like that 644, and I am not keen on borrowing the money to do it.

I just don't know?

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #10  
Post the pics here, or send me a PM so we can get together offsite if you want. I do the majority of the baler work (round & small square) for the NH dealership I work for.