NH 1030 bale wagons any good?

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #1  

WTA

Platinum Member
My dealer here is getting me one and hopefully dropping it off today. It's not something I was planning on getting but a grass drill they ordered for me 3 months ago took way too long to get here and when it did show up it was a piece of trash so I sent it back. SInce it's too late to plant now and I already paid for it I asked if they could substitute something else for it instead. They traded for a 1030 bale wagon that I haven't seen yet but is supposed to be in nice shape and working.

If anyone has any experience with these can you please tell me what to look for before the dealer leaves here. If there are any common problems or breakages on them I'd like to find them and point it out to the dealer while he is still here.

It will be nice to have and my baler already has the quarter turn tail end on it. I just need it to work.

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #2  
http://www.roederimp.com/ is a big help. I would lean towards the remote (cable) cab controls if possible, saves from twisting around to operate the controls.

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #3  
I have a 1020 and its the handiest machine I ever owned. A bit tempermental, though. Couple of things to check. Don't have the dealer fix them, you can do it yourself.

1) Check for proper shear pins in the 1st table drive gear. If there is a hard roll pin in there and you have a jam, then you will need a new cast gear. (I was able to weld mine back together.

2) Make sure the push-off feet are free and unbound. They can get bent if you drop the load table and the feet have not fully retracted. Straighten as necessary and grease the runners.

3) Have some spare steel cable on hand in case you have a frayed one in the load rack. Best to change off season, but if it breaks during haying, the tempers will flare.

4) Put a hydraulic cylinder on the bale pickup. single action only is all you need. This is handy in case a bale gets stuck partway across the 1st table. You can nudge it along with a quick flick of the hydraulics.

5) Put a caster wheel on the bale pickup so it can ride the ground. If you bale on hilly or bumpy ground. the chute will be too high and miss a bale or be too low and dig into the ground. Set the newly installed cylinder in float mode and let the caster wheel ride the surface contour.

6). Park a painter pole on the tractor so you can push a bale around on the ground in case its out of line with the bale pickup. Usually is a problem in corners or when the baler flops a bale out of position or on its strings.

7) Use your loader hydraulics to run the pickup cylinder if you have it. Just run an extra extenson from one of the lines to get the job done.

8) Add some counters on the tractor to remind you how full the 2nd table is. I just resorted to using some hose sections on the fender handles. When an 8 bale section is added, I move a marker. When all the markers are used, the machine is full. This will keep you from stuffing too many loads into the stack.

9) Make sure the tires are in good shape and properly aired up. The machine is quite heavy by itself. If the tires are soft, belt separations can be there and whenyou add the hay tonnage, your gonna hear a boom.

10) The machine seems to like grease and oil. This means the chains, load rack slides, hinges and pulleys all need to be ready to rock and roll.

11) Because you will spend a considerable amount of time working the controls stationary and standing near a rotating pto shaft to do it, having the pto guards in place ought to be mandatory. Sure, repairing it means taking them off. Even if they are missing, buy them and put them on.

12) Learn by practicing. Of all the mchine I run, this one is the most dangerous: The load table could trip and crush you, The top hay restrictors will jab you in the head. A rack of hey bales can fall backwards on a down hill run and wack you in the tractor seat. If using a lightweight tractor, the load is so heavy that stopping the machine/tractor combo can be a challenge.
It runs down the road nicely but is a bear to turn and stop at the same time,

Other than these things, I could not live without one !!!

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #4  
Ive been mulling over a bale wagon and the mdls (1034/1038) that unload single bales are most interesting. However, its just not clear if that works well or not. No one here (that I know of) has one I could look at (running). Any one have 1st hand experience? It sure would be handy to pull up to the elevator and have the labor of get bales into the loft handled by machines. One person could monitor the machines while I stack in the loft.

I think also theres some consideration to bale size & quality. Ive heard bale wagons can be difficult if the bales are just so. Again this is just hearsay. How much leeway is there?

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good?
Well, the dealer called this morning and said they got the bale wagon in. That was fast.

I ran out to check out what I thought was gong to be my next new toy but I'm not too impressed. It wasn't a 1030 model. It was a 1002 instead. They seem to think it's worth 4000 dollars too. I seriously don't think so! Maybe 1000 to 1500 tops.

It's in decent shape and looks like it will work but it's just so darn small. It's capacity is 68 bales I think. That's what they told me at least. The one they thought they were getting holds over 100 they told me originally.

I just don't know what to do. I'm doing a little research on this one right now before I make up my mind.

Apparently they don't know how many this one holds either. The website I found this pic on says it's about 50 bales, depending on the size.

1002.jpg

Has anyone used or owned one of these before?

I'm trying to figure out how the front table comes up with the stack of hay. It's got a set of forks on the front of the rear deck that look like they pick it up instead.

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #7  
This is the same load rack as mine (see photo). It holds 56 in transport mode, plus 8 extra on the 2nd table. The single bale unload feature is overrated. Better to dump in a pile and have the help send them up the elevator. The forks on the back are for fetching a pile later on once its been stashed somewhere. That part's also overrated IMHO. If you are all by yourself, its a big time and effort saver.

Do you have the two forks on the front of the bed also like this one? I'm still trying to figure out how they work. It doesn't look like the front table lifts up on this model.

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #9  
In this old thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ag-tractors-machinery/65914-hay-bale-wagon-new-holland.html

Robert_in_Ny posted this link:

Sod Buster Sales Inc.- New Holland Used Bale Wagons

which gives the specs on some/all the stackers. Looks like capacity varies quite a bit depending on your bale size.

According to balewagons.com the 1002 is a 2 bale wide table. Someone posted a 1044 which is a 3 bale wide pull model for $3000 on our Craigslist this morning. Obviously prices vary by location but I think they are trying to run one past you.

/ NH 1030 bale wagons any good? #10  
I believe the "forks" you are seeing in the above picture (Model 1002) is an optical illusion. It looks like the rear of a larger New Holland Bale wagon in the distance. I don't know of any NH Wagon that would have forks on the front.