What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth?

/ What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am thinking of selling my New Holland model 72 bale thrower but have no idea what it is worth. I have searched online but can't find a 72 on any of the online farm equipment sites. It isn't listed in my equipment books either to give me a rough auction price so I am asking you guys. Here are a few pics to give you guys an idea what it looks like. It needs the upper left rail replaced as I messed it up when I replaced the drum and it ate into the rail as the pic will show. I am not in the mood to repair it right now but may do so if it will make it worth while price wise. I have the shield also to cover the belt and that is in great shape I just didn't put it back on after the last repair.

001-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

/ What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth? #2  
The side rail is the least of its problems. Why is there no lock collar on the off-side bearing of the upper apron drive roll? looks to me as if the roll has spun on the bearing and the roll and bearing are junk. The roll shaft shows wear and is probably undersized where the bearing has to be.

I don't know about value, but there is a guy with a wanted ad in the YT classifieds. He is in the Schenectady, NY area looking for a 72.

/ What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth?
The side rail is the least of its problems. Why is there no lock collar on the off-side bearing of the upper apron drive roll? looks to me as if the roll has spun on the bearing and the roll and bearing are junk. The roll shaft shows wear and is probably undersized where the bearing has to be.

I don't know about value, but there is a guy with a wanted ad in the YT classifieds. He is in the Schenectady, NY area looking for a 72.

Rick, are you referring to this shaft? If so then there was no lock collar on it when I bought it. This has given me trouble and the previous owner had trouble. I had to replace this drum last year and it was kind of a hassle as my local dealer doesn't deal with much hay equipment and ordering parts for the 72 thrower is difficult without knowing its complete history because of a couple updates NH has done. But if there is suppose to be a lock collar on this shaft (I can't find a parts diagram on NH's website) it will explain my frustrations as I couldn't figure out what I did wrong putting it back together as I rebuilt it like I found it. I already planned on replacing this bearing again if I tore it apart to fix the rail but I was going to ask someone about what caused it before I worried about it.

I have talked to the guy you mentioned and that is why I am curious about what to ask. He wanted to know how much I wanted and I have no idea its value.

/ What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth? #4  
Rick, are you referring to this shaft? If so then there was no lock collar on it when I bought it. This has given me trouble and the previous owner had trouble. I had to replace this drum last year and it was kind of a hassle as my local dealer doesn't deal with much hay equipment and ordering parts for the 72 thrower is difficult without knowing its complete history because of a couple updates NH has done. But if there is suppose to be a lock collar on this shaft (I can't find a parts diagram on NH's website) it will explain my frustrations as I couldn't figure out what I did wrong putting it back together as I rebuilt it like I found it. I already planned on replacing this bearing again if I tore it apart to fix the rail but I was going to ask someone about what caused it before I worried about it.

I have talked to the guy you mentioned and that is why I am curious about what to ask. He wanted to know how much I wanted and I have no idea its value.

Well, I can tell you what I think you should do. That bearing should have a locking collar on it. It doesn't, and hasn't, and now both the bearing and the roller are worn because there never was a collar installed to fix the bearing to the shaft. You effectively duplicated the problem you tried to fix. You can buy a collar and install it and sell the kicker. The inside race of the bearing will crack and the bearing will fail in short order because the shaft and bearing have too much clearance and the bearing isn't running true. To repair this properly, the bearing(s) and roll need to be replaced, or the roll welded up and turned back down to size and bearings replaced.

If the shaft measures 1-1/8" that means the roller has been replaced with an update kit for your serial number unit. Roller p/n 86641590, two bearings p/n 45882 and two collars p/n 45876 will be required.

If the shaft measures 1" the roller with a 1" shaft has been obsoleted and a kit including the 86641590 roller, 45882 bearings, 45876 collars along with four bearing flanges and both side rails will be required. The kit is p/n 86517695. The 1-1/8" shaft in the new roll is turned down to 1" at the end to accept your existing flywheel. All this is in the 72 parts catalog, you know where to find that.

/ What is a NH 72 bale thrower worth?
Well, I can tell you what I think you should do. That bearing should have a locking collar on it. It doesn't, and hasn't, and now both the bearing and the roller are worn because there never was a collar installed to fix the bearing to the shaft. You effectively duplicated the problem you tried to fix. You can buy a collar and install it and sell the kicker. The inside race of the bearing will crack and the bearing will fail in short order because the shaft and bearing have too much clearance and the bearing isn't running true. To repair this properly, the bearing(s) and roll need to be replaced, or the roll welded up and turned back down to size and bearings replaced.

If the shaft measures 1-1/8" that means the roller has been replaced with an update kit for your serial number unit. Roller p/n 86641590, two bearings p/n 45882 and two collars p/n 45876 will be required.

If the shaft measures 1" the roller with a 1" shaft has been obsoleted and a kit including the 86641590 roller, 45882 bearings, 45876 collars along with four bearing flanges and both side rails will be required. The kit is p/n 86517695. The 1-1/8" shaft in the new roll is turned down to 1" at the end to accept your existing flywheel. All this is in the 72 parts catalog, you know where to find that.

Thanks Rick. At least now I understand what was causing these problems (I figured it was just old and worn from use when I repaired it). This is the 1 1/8" shaft and I can have the shaft fixed. The previous owner had welded the flywheel to the old shaft because it was worn and the set screws wouldn't hold it on. My friends own a machine shop and they rebuilt the center of the flywheel and I have not had an issue since. It was a lot cheaper then buying a new flywheel too. I know they can rebuild the shaft.

I explained what you told me to the guy looking to buy it and he is going to figure out the parts cost and if he wants to mess with it. If he doesn't I will most likely order the parts from Neil and play with it over the next month or two when I feel like it. It is cold here now and my barn is not insulated or heated and the baler is parked for the winter so it isn't easy to get to the thrower to mess around with but I don't have much else going on this time of the year.

Where did you find the parts diagram? I didn't see them on the NH parts website as the 72 bale thrower didn't even register for me.

Thank you for your help.