NH 479 haybine?

/ NH 479 haybine? #1  

disco

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 & JD 4020
Anyone ever own a NH 479? Gonna go look at one in the morning. It has a newer wobblegear, springs, sickle's, and guards. Rollers are supposed to be in decent shape. Are they a good machine?
Thanks Paul

/ NH 479 haybine? #2  
They are a very good design, but an old machine, built from '72-'77. Most design elements of the 479 are found in the model 488 that followed in 1977 and is still being built. If it is mechanically sound and adjusted properly, the 479 is an excellent conventional style mower conditioner.

/ NH 479 haybine? #4  
Mine was bought used 20 years ago and is still running strong. The Newholland website lists all parts and guides. TSC has knives, guards, tines and belts. I added hydraulic tongue swing to run the fenceline effortlessly and to get thru gates. Get an operators manual. Many problems people have with plugging arise from not having the reel speed adjusted properly (1.5 mph faster than ground speed.)

/ NH 479 haybine? #5  
Anyone ever own a NH 479? Gonna go look at one in the morning. It has a newer wobblegear, springs, sickle's, and guards. Rollers are supposed to be in decent shape. Are they a good machine?
Thanks Paul

Almost any hay equipment that is NH is top notch. There are other quality hay equipment makers out there, but NH is has a very strong dealer network and parts are easy to get. My dealer keeps wear parts on the shelf and can get most any part very quickly. They built alot of the 479 and still building that design today as the 488.

image.aspx

A pic of my 489 behind my brothers 479. Both rebuilt and painted last spring.

Good Luck!

/ NH 479 haybine?
Thanks for the replies.
Well went and looked at it. Sickles and guards all in good shape. It does need new belts. The one thing that concerns me is the crimper rolls. Do I have to worry about these? The crimping part looks fine. It's the thin parts between them that worry me.
Thanks Paul

Last edited:
   / NH 479 haybine? #9  
Anyone know what a set of crimper rolls would cost??

/ NH 479 haybine? #10  
Rolls $1201 each.
Bearings $62 each (x4)
Lock collars $8.40 each (x4)

That's $2683 without any other incidentals. The average guy probably should figure a whole day for the job, at least. Two days without a cutting torch. The bearings can be found for less, the rolls not so much.