new holland super 68 square baler

/ new holland super 68 square baler #1  

farmer flat tire

I need to get my strings tighter on my hay bales. My springs are good on my hay dogs. I have new bale wedges in . This bales ties every bale , every time but the strings need to be tighter around bale. What do I need to do? Any advice would be appreciated .

/ new holland super 68 square baler
Thanks for info . What do these spring control ?

/ new holland super 68 square baler #4  
They force the tension rails at the top center and bottom center of the bale chamber together. The plunger must push the hay (and the bales) between the rails to get the bales out of the back of the bale chamber. More spring tension means more hay in the same sized bale, and tighter springs. These springs typically require adjustment during the day to keep the bale weight and density more or less consistent. Why not order an operator's manual for the machine? It will probably be the best $20 you spend this week. Call 1-800-635-4913
with a credit card handy and get an original reprint from New Holland Technical publications. $14.95 pluis shipping.

/ new holland super 68 square baler #5  
Is there a difference between a model 68 and a super 68? I just bought a used Model 68 to restore. It is covered with rust, but it was baling hay 2 years ago, and all the pieces appear to be there. I'll be ordering one of the operator manuals as soon as the switchboard opens tomorrow! Thanks for posting the phone number.

/ new holland super 68 square baler #6  
Is there a difference between a model 68 and a super 68? I just bought a used Model 68 to restore. It is covered with rust, but it was baling hay 2 years ago, and all the pieces appear to be there. I'll be ordering one of the operator manuals as soon as the switchboard opens tomorrow! Thanks for posting the phone number.

Primary difference between a 68 and Super 68 is the ball bearings supporting the plunger on the Super and the wood blocks on the 68. Either could be had with a two- or three-joint PTO shaft and accompanying long or short tongue.

/ new holland super 68 square baler #7  
68 or Super 68 are one of the best balers ever made. IMHO. Retail Selling price here is around $1750 for one that will go to the field and work. I would venture to guess that they are worth more now than when sold new? Ken Sweet

/ new holland super 68 square baler #8  
Thanks very much for the help. Mine just has 68 on the ID tag by the model number, and serial number is 24126. It has a pretty long tongue on it, and has a two-piece PTO shaft, so I guess that's the 3-joint you're referring to. The right wheel looks original, with 4 lug nuts and old military type tread on the tire, but the left one appears to have been replaced and the tire is history. First thing I need to do is figure out what parts MUST be replaced and which ones can wait 'til I get my next allowance. :)