1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part???

/ 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part??? #1  

dwyleecoyote

Tractor
Ford 1320, Kubota 1140 CPX, Kubota BX2360
Hi folks, new hear obviously. I have lurked around a bit in the last few months, decided to join as this is clearly a more active forum for Ford/New Holland, and that is what I am working on the most these days. I look forward to gaining knowledge of my equipment, and perhaps my experiences with this machine can help others.

Anyway, what brings me here right now is trying to figure out a small(I hope) hydraulic leak. I have recently been through some trial and error working on adding hydraulics for a backhoe, and today I was remounting my snow plow and discovered a drip that concerns me. There are a few things under the tractor that look like the end of a cotter pin, and the one in this pic has a hydraulic oil drip fast enough to concern me. Can someone tell me what the purpose of this thing is? And why oil would be coming out of it? I checked and I was 2 quarts low, and I had checked last weekend. This could be a leak, but it more likely ended up in my backhoe...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 1,671
  • IMG_0354b.jpg
    IMG_0354b.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    995.3 KB · Views: 742
   / 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part??? #2  
That hole is to let oil or water leak out, instead of filling the case and affecting the clutch. The cotter pin is there to jiggle around and keep the hole clear. You do have an oil leak. I see it's an HST transmission. Can be real hard to pinpoint the leak, there's not a lot of places to look in. A lot of times, mice take up residence in the housing, their corrosive by-products do a job on shafts and seals.

/ 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part???
Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. Where would mice get in there? Is there an inspection port or something? I have a snake camera I could peak is with if there is a hole large enough for a mouse to get in. I haven't gone to look this morning yet, but I still like to think I didn't lose 2 quarts through that thing in a week, especially since its been sitting in my garage most of the time, with the exception of 20 minutes idling outside. Would I be correct to say the tractor would need to be split for a seal in this area to be replaced?

/ 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part??? #4  
dwyleecoyote said:
Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. Where would mice get in there? Is there an inspection port or something? I have a snake camera I could peak is with if there is a hole large enough for a mouse to get in. I haven't gone to look this morning yet, but I still like to think I didn't lose 2 quarts through that thing in a week, especially since its been sitting in my garage most of the time, with the exception of 20 minutes idling outside. Would I be correct to say the tractor would need to be split for a seal in this area to be replaced?

If you follow the HST linkage, there is a large slot on the top of the housing, under the steering column. That's where they get in. Nice and secure behind the covers. If it's a shaft seal, yes it will need to be split. It could be a one of the tubes going to the HST. They can be accessed from outside. The snake camera will help out a lot.

Just when I was thinking about buying bolts for those covers too. Off to the garage I go.

Edit to add: tropical 12 degrees here.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it's going to be a shaft seal. I don't know if it's time for a big fat repair manual or trip back to the New Holland shop. I have never split a tractor before. Looks to me like it could be split, that housing pulled off, swap the seal, and through it together. Any reason a guy with reasonable tools and mechanical ability shouldn't give this a shot?

At least I don't see any sign of mice in it. That is surprising considering how much time this thing has spent outside.

Attachments

• SNAK0002.JPG
    SNAK0002.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 376
  • SNAK0003.JPG
    SNAK0003.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 337
After looking over some exploded diagrams, it looks to me like it is the shaft seal on the end of the HST assembly. If I am looking at this right, it is the charge pump end? Anyone think it would hurt to leave this project until spring, as long as I check the fluid everytime I use it? In the winter it only gets used to plow snow at my place and my mom's next door, usually less then 15 minutes on days that it snows. I just don't want to hurt my HST, I see that assembly is close to 6 grand.

/ 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part??? #8  
I would think a small leak would be ok until spring, just make sure to check the trans/hyd oil before every use. Keep it to the full mark,overfilling can be as bad as running it low.

I think I am gonna put it back together for now. I will call my local dealer for an estimate on the work, and buy a service manual. Then I will decide if I want to tackle this in the spring. I will put a pan under the leak in between uses and see how much comes out, and check the dipstick before I start it every time. I am making a list of stuff to take care of. I want this thing ready to dig in the spring.

/ 1320 hydraulic leak- what is this part??? #10  
if that were a plain gera tranny it would likely be a trans input shaft seal leak. not being as familiar with an hst.. I'd guess it's something similar.. unless there are any external charge pumps up by the flyhwlle with plumbing going into the trans.. etc.

soundguy