9030 bidirectional oil in water

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water #1  

schlen

This oil in the water started out as a black powder at the overflow outlet but progressed with the season to liquid oil turning the coolant to sludge. More oil seems to leak the hotter I run the engine. It does better if temperature is kept below 190. I did have the overheat buzzer go off twice last year, lost track of gauge. It turned out a fitting had fallen from the intake manifold and I was losing boost, lots of black smoke and probably high egt. It took me a while to figure this out, probably 200 hours at least. Tractor is used to run a 21ft flail mower.

I have heard of porous blocks on earlier Fords, but is this possibly the culprit in my 1995 year tractor? The engine is a BSD 444T.

I did pressure check the radiator, and it held pressure even while running--no pulsing. I also pressurized the oil cooler (plugged one side) in the radiator when the pressure gauge was hooked up to radiator, and I got no increase in the radiator pressure, so that tells me the $1500 radiator is good.

My first instinct is to pull the head off this thing, and hope for a blown head gasket, or worse a cracked head.

The machine is right at 3000hrs, and runs great with good power

Any thoughts?

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water #2  
i would be guessing it is a cracked block or head since the hotter the engine gets the more oil gets in the water the crack will separate the warmer it gets.

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water
I'm thinking the same way. Gonna pull the head hope its not the block!

yes, and the oil cooler checks out okay, holds 30lbs pressure. thanks

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water #7  
Here is what I know about your tractor..... I looked into a 9030, I was going to upgrade my tv140. (I love my bi) A neighbor bought one and has already sold it, traded for a 7070. Seems like NH in all their wisdom messed these tractors up. They have too small of a radiator for the tractor, and more or less that is the problem. Yes, they know about this, and they are working on a solution...... I had a NH rep finally tell me this, after trying to dance around the question. My neighbors tractor got too warm even last winter while blowing snow. Clean radiator, but more or less half the size it should be.
Good Luck with it, except for that SILLY problem, they are a really good machine.
Tim

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water #8  
Here is what I know about your tractor..... I looked into a 9030, I was going to upgrade my tv140. (I love my bi) A neighbor bought one and has already sold it, traded for a 7070. Seems like NH in all their wisdom messed these tractors up. They have too small of a radiator for the tractor, and more or less that is the problem. Yes, they know about this, and they are working on a solution...... I had a NH rep finally tell me this, after trying to dance around the question. My neighbors tractor got too warm even last winter while blowing snow. Clean radiator, but more or less half the size it should be.
Good Luck with it, except for that SILLY problem, they are a really good machine.
Tim

How do you figure a 9030 to be an upgrade from a TV140? The 9030 is older, smaller, and not designed by New Holland's "wisdom". Most design elements of a 9030 are from the old Versatile days.

Or are you thinking of the T9030 4WD???

/ 9030 bidirectional oil in water #9  
RickB,
Please forgive my "wisdom" with numbers... the 9030 is a pretty good tractor. I got it confused with the new TV6070. I used to have a JD4450 mfwd that did have oil in the water and my dealer laughed about it pretty big time, I had just had the transmission overhauled..... 3200 hrs on a machine that I had just bought from that same dealer a year earlier. He found a whole lot of humor in the whole affair, (and wanted a big pile of cash to fix it) I traded off the tractor for an 8670. My NH dealer knew there was a problem with the JD... Six blue ones later and we have had pretty good tractors from NH. The model numbers are starting to confuse me....
Tim

Well I talked to the shop foreman at the Ford dealer, he said that his first guess would be a pinhole in a cylinder caused by corrosion. He said too look inside the cylinders with a flashlight for any dicoloration/anormalities. Pulled the head and I think the cylinders look excellent (still crosshatch and no scoring) ran each piston down and couldn't see anything wierd. If it is a cylinder pinhole the fix is a dry-sleeve which will cost $300 per cylinder if I ring the bare block in.

As far as th head gasket, no obvious leaks to my eye but the cylinder head shop thought it looked like it was leaking combustion. Getting it checked for warpage.