need help w/ a trouble code

/ need help w/ a trouble code #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Earlier this winter I used the tractor to haul brush from around my fields. I wasn't driving thru brush just in the field itself and nothing was tall enough to reach the underside of the tractor. All was happy. A couple weeks ago I went out to use the tractor and it wouldn't start as in the starter wouldn't function, no noises like it wanted to or anything. Also none of the electrics worked. I figured it must be a dead battery and put it on the charger which got it going. At that time I didn't have enough time to charge the battery fully. Finally yesterday I had enough day light to finish the job. After a full charge the tractor starts (expected) just fine but is giving a trouble code. The dash light blinks once followed by a pause, then it blinks twice followed by another pause then 4 times very fast. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what that code means.

/ need help w/ a trouble code
Darn I meant to add the tractor is a tn75 w/ EHSS 16x16 if that matters.

/ need help w/ a trouble code #3  
sounds like a code 12- clutch pedal potentiometer signal too high.
unfortunately, a NH tech with the ECM diagnostic instrument, or an EST will need to adjust or replace the clutch pot. and andjust the clutch switch, then clear the code.

Thx for that.

As I said in my initial posting I charged the battery and it was starting OK. The day after that it was back to the 'no start' situation. So, either the battery is bad (not too likely) or something bleeding it down.

/ need help w/ a trouble code #5  
Is it charging? Also, you can check each cell of the battery with a multimeter (each cell should be ~2.2 volts). Winter is worse than summer for battery failure.

Someone else is having a possible charging issue with there NH (a TN as well IIRC).

Sorry for the long delay, just very busy at the moment.

Yes, the battery is charging just fine. Once charged it starts up and all systems seem to be 'go' exc for the error code flashing in the dash lights. However, an over night sit and its back to nearly flat (starter clicks). More than that and its completely flat. Also checked the battery once the motor is running and that reads 14.7VDC. Not sure if thats OK or not. As cold goes it really does get bad down here. I think we had a couple nights close to single digits but mostly we run in the 20s and 30s.

More followup...actually the battery charged for a time then wouldn't, bad cell. Replaced that but had lingering problems w/ the transmission. Use of the clutch seems to confuse the electronics which shuts power off to the drive train. It did get my hay in but last night when I was moving the hay tools back into the barn the machine would no longer reverse. Drove it 20 miles or so to the dealer this AM. From the symptoms he thought it might be the clutch switch. We'll see.

/ need help w/ a trouble code #8  
Code 24 tells us that the ECM has lost the clutchpack calibration values. A totally dead battery should not mean that the non-volatile memory has been cleared, but it appears that it has.

OK, so theres nothing I could have done for it myself. The way this failed seems strange tho. The problem didnt cause transmission function to completely stop just degrade over time. At first there was the error code but everything worked. Then the clutch started confusing the electronics and couldn't be used then unable to reverse direction.

/ need help w/ a trouble code #10  
OK, so theres nothing I could have done for it myself. The way this failed seems strange tho. The problem didnt cause transmission function to completely stop just degrade over time. At first there was the error code but everything worked. Then the clutch started confusing the electronics and couldn't be used then unable to reverse direction.

Ignore this post, I just couldn't resist.:D

2001 A Space Odyssey:
Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the ****'d you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the doors.
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye