TB110 brakes not working well

/ TB110 brakes not working well #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
The brakes have never worked well (barely at all) since I bought this tractor (used). I spoke with shop foreman and he mentioned that they might be able to "adjust" them and if that diddnt work, they might need to "go in" and replace something. What is involved in the brakes of this tractor? This tractor has very low hours. What would you think is the problem here? thanks

/ TB110 brakes not working well #2  
If the brake pedal goes to the floor, then an adjustment is required.

If the pedal is hard, with weak brakes, I would think that some linkage, especially the brake cross shaft, is binding. That would require locating the binding parts, then disassembling enough to free them up and lube them.

The brakes themselves are very strong and durable on these tractors. Which is good, to replace them requires removing the axle assemblies to get to them.

/ TB110 brakes not working well
"Removing Axle Assemblies" -- that sounds like a pretty big job. Im assuming you would have to remove the wheels and also the seat to get to the axles from both the top and ends??

/ TB110 brakes not working well #4  
Yes, it's a big job. The only time those brakes wear out is when: the brakes drag, or parking brake is left on while driving, or, when the wrong oil is used. If there is still adjustment left, usually the brakes are not worn out.

Dealer was sketchy about what adjustments were made. Is there a way I can look and tell myself if there is adjustment left? They did ask me what oil was used. How does this affect things?

/ TB110 brakes not working well #6  
Dealer was sketchy about what adjustments were made. Is there a way I can look and tell myself if there is adjustment left? They did ask me what oil was used. How does this affect things?

These are what are know as "wet brakes", i.e., they run in oil. The oil should not have friction modifiers in it so the brakes work and wear properly. So you need to use a UTF oil that meets the NH Specs.

/ TB110 brakes not working well #7  
pharmvet said:

#16, pull rod goes into clevis #20. There is an adjuster nut in the clevis that tightens the pull rod. If there are threads showing on the rod, usually the brakes are ok.

Attachments

• image-1185574344.png
    image-1185574344.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 2,001
Ok, Ill check that out tomorrow. THANKS !!. I can see from that diagram that if tightning the nut does not get the job done, Ill have to take it in. If the improper oil was used, is it simply a matter of changing it out, or will the use of improper oil damage the brakes permanently. Mike

/ TB110 brakes not working well #9  
I've seen the wrong oil destroy the brakes. The NH 134, or UTF is pretty common oil. 90w would make the hydraulics hardly work. ATF would be obvious with the red color.

Do the pedals "go to the floor" or are they stiff?

I think they almost go to the floor, with resistance increasing as they go further down.
Regarding the oil, will this be the hydraulic oil that the tractor utilizes for all its hydraulic functions, or is there a specific place for the brake fluid (oil)?