Brake locks up on my old FORD 800?

/ Brake locks up on my old FORD 800? #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Hi all, I have my grandfathers old ford 800 that we have had for years. I'm not real mechanically inclined but i know my grandfather had this apart numerious time and could not figure it out. The brake on the left side of tractor locks up a different times frequently while goin forward. Never in reverse. I have to go into reverse to get it to unlock and then go back forward. Hence i have to make sure it is pulled in the shed so i can back out lol. Now typically after running it for a good period of time it will not lock up but is a major pain in the butt most times. I want a new compact tractor w/ fel just can't swing it right now so i gota make this due for probably this summer of planting and brush hoggin. Thanks all any help would be appreciated.

/ Brake locks up on my old FORD 800? #2  
if they are new pads, you should have chamfered the leading edge where they contact the drum a tad. otherwise make sure pedal returns good and springs are in place. assuming all that is good.. is it possible you just have them adjusted too darn tight.

jack up that rear and get a big flat blade screwdriver.. if the adjuster slot is still plugged with the lil sheet metal plug, pry it out and have at the star wheel.. i don't recall which way to turn it but it will be self evident.. clicking it one way will makes brakes engage more.. and the other way less. if they lock up a tad now and then.. back them off a click or two.. might be all it is..

soundguy

/ Brake locks up on my old FORD 800? #3  
ps.. if you don't have an FO-20 service manul or the ford service manual.. now is the prime time to get one.

those old fords with mechanical brakes and drums are like the old trucks.. etc..

soundguy