TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up.

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #1  

Tim Stuart

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck
:mad::mad: Guys from the pictures attached can you give be some kind of idea what it will take to fix my tractor? How big of a job is it? Cost?

Attachments

• 2011-03-27_16-21-44_958.jpg
    2011-03-27_16-21-44_958.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 461
  • 2011-03-27_16-21-54_166.jpg
    2011-03-27_16-21-54_166.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 457
   / TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #2  
Tim, there is a lockring that evidently broke or came off that shaft. There is a good chance the bearing has been damaged and most certainly the seal for the dropbox gear is damaged. I'll attach a parts diagram so you can see the pieces inside. Do you have a trailer to transport this to a dealer? If so, you are probably looking at a couple of hours of labor and about $150 in bearings, seal, and clip (Item #6 in diagram).

Attachments

• FinalDrive.jpg
    FinalDrive.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 328
   / TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #3  
Tim,

Pretty much same thing as Jim suggested. I have a pdf below that shows all part #s as well to check the availability. It seems Clip # 6 hold plate #1 in place is broken off. It appears with the tractor where it is you might be able to take cover #4 off, inspect the bevel gear for damage if any put it back together with the clip. Not sure if you need to change the bearings but seal#2 for sure. Once you get it together with the clip then should be easy to put the cover #4 and bolt it up.

JC,

Attachments

• tc35 final drive.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,009
   / TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #4  
I gotta admit I am a bit suprised that a snap ring is the only thing that holds the wheel on. Am I reading the drawing right that the ring accepts all the axial forces on the wheel?

Chris

Last edited:
   / TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #5  
I gotta admit I am a bit suprised that a snap ring is the only thing that holds the wheel on. Am I reading that right that that ring accepts all the axial forces on the wheel?

Chris

That's the way it appears. A well designed clip and geometry of the part can provide support for a lot of axial force. I'm interested to see what the op will find out after some dis assembly and seeing actual picture and physical size of the clip.

JC

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #6  
It must work, as I haven't had one fall off(and hadn't heard of this before), and I put a lot of stress on that joint(super steer, and lots of turning).

It will be good to hear back from the OP.

Thanks
Chris

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #7  
The axle is retained by 2 hardened half rings. They fit snugly into a groove in the axle, and they're tight against the outboard bearing. There's a relief machined in the bevel gear that traps the half rings. The inboard bearing is then pressed on the shaft.

When one (usually the outboard) bearing fails, it allows excessive endplay until the gear slides back and the rings fall out.

Remove the cover, and retrieve all the parts. Make sure the bearing bores in the cover, and swivel housing aren't damaged from a spinning bearing.

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #8  
The axle is retained by 2 hardened half rings. They fit snugly into a groove in the axle, and they're tight against the outboard bearing. There's a relief machined in the bevel gear that traps the half rings. The inboard bearing is then pressed on the shaft.

When one (usually the outboard) bearing fails, it allows excessive endplay until the gear slides back and the rings fall out.

Remove the cover, and retrieve all the parts. Make sure the bearing bores in the cover, and swivel housing aren't damaged from a spinning bearing.

Man! I love your accurate descriptions. I can post from what I read, but your experience and expertise makes me just want to get out of your way, hold the door for you, and watch and learn.:thumbsup::)

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #9  
I gotta admit I am a bit suprised that a snap ring is the only thing that holds the wheel on. Am I reading the drawing right that the ring accepts all the axial forces on the wheel?

Chris

The axles in big block 396, 427, and 454 Camaros, Chevelles and Nova's with the heavy duty 12 bolt rear end were only held in with one little c-clip in each axle.
Those little clips can take lot's of abuse.

Of course the racing associations required c-clip eliminators in the faster classes.

/ TC35 A Help me figure out what I tore up. #10  

Puyfect explanation!!... Even I can understands:D:D

That's good.:thumbsup: Is there any spring action built in to the half clips?

JC,