Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

Default Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?

Slow leaks on the front tires of a TD75D is causing a guy to want tubes installed. Can we look at this stem and determine without a doubt that he has tubeless tires on his tractor? Being they are on a newer tractor I'd bet yes but would like some opinions other than mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?-mvc-001f.jpg  

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?

Yep! Tubeless valve stem. The nut and washer tightens the stem and seals to the wheel with a rubber flange. Tractor tire tubeless valve stems don't have a rubber grommet flange on them like auto tires. Tube type tires also have a nut around the stem, but the washer looks a bit different from that one as I remember. Another thing is that your tire should have "tubeless" written on the casing. My Titans have that.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

you can find out by doing this!

Front tires should not be filled so turn the steam up top, let all the air out, loosen the nut till it almost off of the threads, push in to loosen the seat and then apply air to the steam if it is tubeless the air will escape around the outer steam seat if it's a tube it will inflate the tube and poke the stem back out.

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Steel valve stem,could be brass on rear wheels.. i have used them for years in my tires on my truck. I just bought two to go on my front wheels to the bota. Sticks broke one of the long rubber type on my wheels.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

Just a follow up to let other owners know what they may have.

This style of tubeless valve stem has three locations it may leak. The schrader valve, an O ring and the flanged seal. In this case it looks as if the leak area was the flanged seal that was never installed correctly through the rim hole. The portion that should enter the hole in the rim was pushed back and torn as the hex nut was tightned. (see pic)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by moored4 View Post
    you can find out by doing this!

Front tires should not be filled so turn the steam up top, let all the air out, loosen the nut till it almost off of the threads, push in to loosen the seat and then apply air to the steam if it is tubeless the air will escape around the outer steam seat if it's a tube it will inflate the tube and poke the stem back out.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    morred4 - good idea, but after seeing this one I would recommend backing the nut off only enough to feel a little slack and cause a leak. If the seal end goes inside too far the end result could be the same as what happened to this one.

Thanks TBN members
    SandburRanch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?-mvc-008f.jpg   Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?-mvc-009f.jpg   Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?-mvc-001f.jpg   Is this Valve Stem Tubeless?-mvc-002f.jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Quote Originally Posted by SandburRanch View Post
    Just a follow up to let other owners know what they may have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    morred4 - good idea, but after seeing this one I would recommend backing the nut off only enough to feel a little slack and cause a leak. If the seal end goes inside too far the end result could be the same as what happened to this one.

Thanks TBN members
    SandburRanch
    Good Point!

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

This type stem has been used by IH for years. It does show where someone let it slip, before tightening it in. Jy.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!