New Holland TT75A fuel system problems

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #1  

proberts

Tractor
New Holland TT75A
About a month ago, I started having issues with the fuel supply on my TT75A tractor. At speeds over 2000 rpm, the tractor acted as if it was starving for fuel and would blow white smoke and a strong diesel odor that would irritate my eyes. I first changed fuel filter and air filter, no luck. I then found some particles which look like rust flakes in the strainer of the transfer pump. (I had purchased an old storage tank in Feb, but thought I had it cleaned out pretty well). After blowing out the strainer, the tractor ran okay for a couple of days and then started doing the same thing again. I drained the fuel tank, blew out all the lines and banjo fittings up to the injector pump, and blew out the return line from the injector pump to the tank. I have replaced the hose clamp on the fuel line on the suction side of the transfer pump and bled the injectors.
One thing I notice is when the tractor runs okay, it will idle aroun d 600 rpm but when it is acting up, the idle speed drops below 500 rpm and the engine will die within 30 seconds or so.

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #2  
About a month ago, I started having issues with the fuel supply on my TT75A tractor. At speeds over 2000 rpm, the tractor acted as if it was starving for fuel and would blow white smoke and a strong diesel odor that would irritate my eyes. I first changed fuel filter and air filter, no luck. I then found some particles which look like rust flakes in the strainer of the transfer pump. (I had purchased an old storage tank in Feb, but thought I had it cleaned out pretty well). After blowing out the strainer, the tractor ran okay for a couple of days and then started doing the same thing again. I drained the fuel tank, blew out all the lines and banjo fittings up to the injector pump, and blew out the return line from the injector pump to the tank. I have replaced the hose clamp on the fuel line on the suction side of the transfer pump and bled the injectors.
One thing I notice is when the tractor runs okay, it will idle aroun d 600 rpm but when it is acting up, the idle speed drops below 500 rpm and the engine will die within 30 seconds or so.

With your symptoms, it sounds like fuel sarvation.

The first thing I'd do is put a filter on your storage tank outlet line to prevent crap and corruption from getting into your fuel system. Better to change that filter than have you tractor fuel system continually contaminated.

Do you have a water separator in addition to the fuel filter and the lift pump screen? It has a filter in it so it may be clogged, so check that. If the system is badly contamiinated, it's possible that your newly replaced fuel filter is clogged, so check that also. Then you might consider draining your on board fuel tank because it's probably contaminated now.

Fuel contaminated with foreign matter and water are the bane of diesel fuel systems. Do everything you can to keep the fuel you put into your tractor free of water and dirt and let the on board filtration take care of what the storage filters miss.

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems
I do have a 10 micron filter on the storage tank. I did check the last fuel filter I removed and it had a few small particles in it including 2 gnats.

I'm starting to believe that the transfer pump may have some debris in it or that it is going bad. Each time I bleed the system using the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter housing, the tractor will run okay for a few minutes and then start blowing white smoke but only at rpm's over 2000.

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #4  
I have a new holland tractor. On the metal info. tag it says it is a Model #4023010E210501 I can't find any info. on this model #. Could someone give advise as to what model and year this tractor is. Thanks.

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #5  
I do have a 10 micron filter on the storage tank. I did check the last fuel filter I removed and it had a few small particles in it including 2 gnats.

I'm starting to believe that the transfer pump may have some debris in it or that it is going bad. Each time I bleed the system using the bleed valve on top of the fuel filter housing, the tractor will run okay for a few minutes and then start blowing white smoke but only at rpm's over 2000.

If you have a 10 micron filter on the fuel supply tank then that's not the source of crud after you changed the filters and cleaned the screen. Your problem is onboard contaminations. I asked before if you have a water separator Check that if you do. The tank on my TD95D was contaminated with water and I continually drained water out of the separator. I pumped the tank and got more water out
but I know I didn't get it all.

Do a search of the archives. Some guy on here with a NH tractor and fuel starvation problems found some plastic contaminations from the manufacturing process on his plastic fuel tank and he had similar symptoms to yours.

Yesterday, I removed the fuel filter again and examined the contents of the fuel and again found five small particles in the fuel which looked to be dark rust flakes. I have already drained the fuel tank on the tractor and flushed it out and refilled with filtered fuel.

I have talked with the deisel fuel supplier and he mentioned an algae that grows in diesel fuel and may look like rust particles, but will mainly look like spider webs in the fuel and the fuel will look a little darker and gelled a little.

Anyone ever here of this algae?

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #7  
Yesterday, I removed the fuel filter again and examined the contents of the fuel and again found five small particles in the fuel which looked to be dark rust flakes. I have already drained the fuel tank on the tractor and flushed it out and refilled with filtered fuel.

I have talked with the deisel fuel supplier and he mentioned an algae that grows in diesel fuel and may look like rust particles, but will mainly look like spider webs in the fuel and the fuel will look a little darker and gelled a little.

Anyone ever here of this algae?

Yes, it's common and is particularly bad in the SE with its warm and humid climate.The critters live in the fuel-water interface. It's not only a problem with tractors; it's a problem with aircraft, boats, etc that use the heavier distillate fuels. Power Service makes a biocide to control it and there are others. they also make a product called Kleen Tank(?) I believe. There are any number of companies that make additives that contain biocides to control algae.

Replaced the transfer pump this AM and still same thing. I seem to have a restriction somewhere, but can't find it. the dealer is going to work on it this PM.

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #9  
Help! I am so stumped I can't see straight. My new holland tc45 800 hours of running fine.Got new fuel and a couple days later, wouldn't hold a rpm setting and would finally die. Would restart but die again, after 5 hours of so would start enough to get into the barn. Fuel looks good, changed filter anyway, good flow at the filter. Took off fuel solenoid? Small tomato can size w a wire plug going into the injector . The plunger goes swishy. Is that normal? Any help would be really appreciated, really appreciated!:confused:

/ New Holland TT75A fuel system problems #10  
Help! I am so stumped I can't see straight. My new holland tc45 800 hours of running fine.Got new fuel and a couple days later, wouldn't hold a rpm setting and would finally die. Would restart but die again, after 5 hours of so would start enough to get into the barn. Fuel looks good, changed filter anyway, good flow at the filter. Took off fuel solenoid? Small tomato can size w a wire plug going into the injector . The plunger goes swishy. Is that normal? Any help would be really appreciated, really appreciated!:confused:

You're hijacking this thread.You really ought to start a new one for your machine. However......

Check the tank strainer and the line to the filter. Have you been draining the water separator (not all fuel systems have a separate one) and/or the bottom of the fuel filter. You can collect water there .

Did you bleed the fuel system after you changed the filter? Unless your owners manual says you don't have to, you should always bleed the fuel system after you open any fuel line.

Why are you messing around with the fuel shut off solenoid? Is it not opening when you switch the key on?