Ford 4000 diff

/ Ford 4000 diff #1  

Joehayboy

Tractor
Ford 4000
I recently changed the seal on my pto shaft and lost most of the fluid that hadn't already leaked out. The tractor has no dipstick and I can't find a level plug anywhere. Does anyone know where it is?

/ Ford 4000 diff #2  
if a 3 cyl

it's on the aluminum round cover of the pump.. kinda above the mid point and tot he rear of the cover.. assuming this has independent pto and an 8spd. could possibly be an inverted hex plug.. depends what the prev owner wanted to jamb in there.

if a 4 cyl

there is a level check pipe-plug on the back side of the left axle trumpet... checks the diff level only.. but when you pulled the shaft it would have drained the hyds too, so you need to check the dipstick in the pto shift cover on the left side to check hyd sump oil.

post back if you need more help.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 diff
Thank you much!! Will check it out when I get home!!

/ Ford 4000 diff #4  
if ya can't find it, post and I'll take a pic

do let me know if it's a 3 cyl or 4 cyl.. COMPLETELY different machines..

if the 3 cyl, i can get a pic of the pump for the independent pto model, on my ford 4600. my level check plug is in a different palce than yours.. but if you find the pump cover.. you will find the plug.

onthe 4 cyl, it's just a plug on the back of the trumpet.. but i can get a pic for you there as well.

post back.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 diff
It is a 3 cylinder and if you have a pic that would be awesome! It is also independent pto. Thanks Soundguy!!

/ Ford 4000 diff #6  
will get one this weekend.

it's an aluminum round cover about 8" or so across, it's mounted into the center housing kinda under yer but a foot or so.. aft of your right foot, running board is brobably right at it.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 diff #7  
will get one this weekend.

it's an aluminum round cover about 8" or so across, it's mounted into the center housing kinda under yer but a foot or so.. aft of your right foot, running board is brobably right at it.

soundguy

And the oil level plug is a square headed straight thread plug screwed into the upper front quadrant of the pump cover.

/ Ford 4000 diff
The only square headed plug I have is on the tranny. The prev owner may have lost or replaced it with something else. :(

/ Ford 4000 diff #9  
pretty common for plugs to get damaged and repalced.

never know what you might find.

searc all over that cover. it's on the cover itself.. if it really is a 4000 and not a 4600.

soundguy