7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place.

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #1  

Kevin M

Gold Member
Tractor
48" bobcat walk behind , 60" Dixie Chopper Classic , 755 John Deere 4x4 70 ldr belly mower etc etc , 7610 Ford 4x4 7412 ldr and 10 ft rhino hogg
With the impending storm in the North East I went to start my 7610s and I started fine. Let it warm up but apparently not enough. Pushed clutch done was having trouble shifting gears grinding a little ( it would not disengage ). Well I got the tractor into gear and then could not get it out. I panicked yanked on the shifter and now the shifter is in neutral , but the tractor is stuck in first gear. The high / low is still moving freely. It appears that I should be able to remove 10 bolts and remove the top plate on the trans and remove the shifter and fix the problem. Am I correct ?

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #2  
it's REAL uncommon for that 8spd crashbox to do that.. but the 4 speeds of older vintage did it easilly.. usually due to wear in a shift pattern or on the nub.

you will need to put the range in neutral and pull the cover and pop her gates back to N for the main tranny, then look at the shift pattern and nub for wear.

I'm WAY surprised something as new as an 'S' model did it.. those trannies ( design anyway ) date to 65.. my 3000, 4600, 5000 have that twin stick tranny. course my 7610s does too.. etc..

post back what ya find..

soundguy

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place.
I'm a big guy and was really yanking on it , I don't think its worn to bad. Thanks Sound Guy that's what I wanted to hear.

Its outside and as soon as it stops snowing I'm going to get on it !

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #5  
if it was locked.. I'd have rocked the tractor a bit.. ort drove foreward some and then double clutched it and shifted it out with a lil momentum vs meathooking it. remember... it weas made to shift easy.. if it don't.. find out why before you slide the pipe on.

good luck.. hopefully nuttin has been damaged now.. or bent.

soundguy

Attachments

• 8spdshftlvers.gif
    8spdshftlvers.gif
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,477
  • 8spdgears.gif
    8spdgears.gif
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,450
After removing the shield for the steering column , I pulled 11, 7/16 bolts out of the top plate. The shifter had popped out of the rail. Put it back in neutral, and reassembled. Thanks again Sound Guy for your help !

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #7  
Kevin
I have a thick NH tech manual for a 5610S,6610S,7610S I'd sell if you're interested. I owned a 5610S that a wire under cab shorted out and the tractor turned into toast.
Jim

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #8  
After removing the shield for the steering column , I pulled 11, 7/16 bolts out of the top plate. The shifter had popped out of the rail. Put it back in neutral, and reassembled. Thanks again Sound Guy for your help !

glad it was an easy one fir ya.

if it does it again.. look for wear that may need to be corrected.

good luck

soundguy

@ Texas Jim yeah I'm super interested in that manual. How much would you like for it ? I could mail you a money order or Tractor Supply gift card ????

/ 7610s Shifter lever jumped out of place. #10  
Kevin
Sorry it's taking me so long to reply. I'll take $125 plus shipping. I checked with Messicks and they stated a new one was $276. Mine has a few grease stains on a few pages but is very legible.
Thanks,Jim