What oil filter? I'm so confused.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #21  
Um.. how about '-may- not'

ANY filter can collapse.

Nothing to prevent an oem filter from having a factory defect or other environment or engine related issue, causing it to collapse.. unless you can categorically 100% guarantee that all oem filters ever produced will not, won't ever and have never collapsed.. at which point I'd also ask for proof to that statement if you do decide to make it ;)

just playing devil's advocate...

I agree.. oem filters are almst always a better choice..

soundguy

Agree. My point was that if the OEM filter collapses on their tractor they are obligated to replace it. No wiggling out of that one.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #22  
obligated? maybee socially.. but in practice.. we have had fuel filter problems from an OEm, and they did not repalce the filter, or offer any sort of labor issueinvolved with cleaning / fixing the system... I think they mentioned they would give us a break on the 126$ and hour shop labor chanrge and only charge 80$ an hour, .. minimum 5 hrs billed.. etc.. etc.. ( yellow iron.. go figure ). :(

note.. piece of equipment was not new/under warranty.. that might have made them pony up.. perhaps...

soundguy

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #23  
Um.. how about '-may- not'

ANY filter can collapse.

Nothing to prevent an oem filter from having a factory defect or other environment or engine related issue, causing it to collapse.. unless you can categorically 100% guarantee that all oem filters ever produced will not, won't ever and have never collapsed.. at which point I'd also ask for proof to that statement if you do decide to make it ;)

just playing devil's advocate...

I agree.. oem filters are almst always a better choice..

soundguy

I think what Neil meant was that if that 100 hour engine had a NH filter on it that had failed, Messick's would not have handed the owner a $6000 repair bill. That's the part that would not have happened; NH warranty would have paid the repair. The owner would not have had write the check and then go after NAPA.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #24  
I think what Neil meant was that if that 100 hour engine had a NH filter on it that had failed, Messick's would not have handed the owner a $6000 repair bill. That's the part that would not have happened; NH warranty would have paid the repair. The owner would not have had write the check and then go after NAPA.

now that I agree with. new engine, under warranty, and a dealer supplied filter.. if it failed, I'd hope it would be covered.

We rarely have the convienience of new stuff where I work :)

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #25  
I have been a Baldwin distributor for almost 15 years . I had the opportunity several years ago to be flown on Baldwins Leer jet to their factory in Kearney , Nebraska . It is very impressing to see their R & D , manufacturing , and their testing of other brands . At the time I was out there they were making filters for another major brand . I don't know about all the other companies , but Baldwin has always went the extra mile to help cross filters , get special orders to me , and provide monthly updates . In saying all this , I depend on their expertise when selling filters , I'm not going to guess , and be responsible for causing damage to someones equipment . :thumbsup:

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #26  
I have a TN65D that I bought new back in 2004 and almost everytime I go in to buy a couple of oil filters for my tractor, The OEM filter number is different!(and the price soars) I asked why and was told that they change manufactures every once in a while and that causes the change in the OEM numbers! I know the oil filter number has changed at least 3 times and the cost has skyrocked from around $6.00 to over $12.00 for the oil filter. I am not going to tell you how much the cost of the Hyd. filter has gone up! I think OEM stands for Outrageous Expensive Maintance! JMO

Last edited:
   / What oil filter? I'm so confused. #27  
Clarification of my last post! I agree that using OEM parts is the safest way to go. It is also manytimes the only way you can be sure of getting the right filter. This situation is what bothers me because this confusion (done by design or carelessness-you decide) enables NH to maximize its profit and sell a filter for twice what it should sell for! In my owners manual it specifies the excact filter part number for the OEM oil filter. That part does NOT exist. For a 7 year old machine, the part and number should not be changed 3 or more times. At the least, the OEM filters specified should still be available. I am a loyal NH tractor customer.(3 new NH tractors in the last 20 years) I just hate to be a pawn is this ripoff game!

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #28  
I'm doing a full service on a Ford 2120 replacing all fluids & filters.
The only place other than the OEM that has the correct listings for this tractor or any other off road equipment is NAPA which carries Wix.

The Wix on-line application catalog lists 2 primary engine oil filters and 1 heavy duty version.
All these Wix filters have a 3/4-16 threaded base.
51348 is the short version rated at 21 microns.
51329 is the long version rated at 32 microns.
A footnote lists the 57515 at 12 microns and for Various HD Equipment as a Glass media version of 51515.
The 51515 filter platform at one time had the most Gas, diesel & lube applications of any filter.
It fit all Ford autos & trucks and many small & large gas & diesel engines including Perkins & Kubota.

The criterion for selecting the correct filter is;
Size to fit application,
Base & thread size, will it fit and seal?
Flow in GPM,
Micron rating,
Dirt holding capacity,
Does it have an internal bypass? If so the bypass setting in PSI,
Burst pressure.
Expected service life in hours or miles.

No doubt it is easier & safer to go to the OEM (maybe?)
As was said the OEM changes vendors, part numbers & pricing.
The OEM (ford) does not make their own filters.

I would trust Wix for consistent quality & application data. They will also stand behind their filters & pay for damage caused by a defective filter.
Try to get an OEM to do that!
Many times the OEM won't warranty a legit mechanical claim!
Use the link below and go to the Wix application website. Find the correct filters for your machines.

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

For even more information go to BOB is the OIL GUY

- Bob is the Oil Guy

I've said enough!

Last edited:
   / What oil filter? I'm so confused. #29  
I think I'd take a 1452 over a 1515 if off oem.. but I'd take oem first..

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #30  
Lets face it, unless you are an expert on engines and oil filters, OEM(outrageous expensive maintance) is the safest way to go. If you get it wrong and screw up your engine, you will have a (VOEMR) very outrageous maintance repair for your engine! So I just smile and pay the Dealer.(not his fault- thank NH) HA HA, you must pay to play!