What oil filter? I'm so confused.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
I'm trying to sort out the correct oil filter for my 3 Ford tractors. (see signature). All 3 show in the parts manuals as taking a NH 86546614. However, when you cross over to other brands, (I'll use Baldwin as an example), the results are confusing. Baldwin says to use a BT111, but also lists B2 and BT5 for Ford tractors. Over the years buying filters for the tractors I've been given B2's and BT5's but never a B111. When I Google 86546614 very often what comes up is a B2.

B2's and BT111's are mid length and average width, but BT5's are short and bigger diameter. To make it worse, the specs on the filters vary a lot:

BT5 has anti backflow and 8 PSID bypass
BT111 has no anti backflow and 20 PSID bypass
B2 has anti backflow and 8 PSID bypass pressure.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd sure appreciate it! :)

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #2  
i bet you find a napa 1515, 1452, motorcraft fl1a, fram ph8a, supertech st8a, and a hundred others fit.. dual 300.. etc.. etc.

of the napa ones.. i like the 1452.

i've used all mentioned at times on my fords.

hard to go wrong with the oem dealer filter too.

soundguy

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #3  
That filter crosses to a Wix 51452 however a Wix 51515 or a Purolator
PL30001 will interchange. The micron rating of these 3 filters are identical as is the bypass setting and
O-ring seal diameter.
It is confusing when you start to research this topic.
Using the Wix 51515 or Purolator PL30001 will save you money because they are used on thousands of applications.
I'm very fussy when it comes to filters and lubricants.
I will not buy Wal-Mart or off brand filters because it is all about profit margin, quality is secondary and guaranteed.
When I get a new piece of equipment I research the filter and if possible I install a filter with a smaller micron rating providing the flow requirement is equal to the OEM.
In addition often you can find a filter with a longer or larger diameter body (more filter media) which = longer life and a bit more oil capacity.
Check out the Wix filter look-up site at.
WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters

Tim

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused.
Thanks for the input. Right now what is bothering me the most is the spec difference. Anti-drainback or no, is it just not important? The bypass pressure, 8 or 20, that seems like a big difference, does it really not matter?

Or is it that many of these filters are used where the specs are important, like hydraulics, and an engine oil filter is less specific so a wide range will work?

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #5  
i'd use the 1452 OVER the 1515 as the 1515 is an automotive application designation, and the 1452 actually has ag applications specifically.

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #6  
If you check the Wix filter application listing for the 51515 you will find it is specified for Perkins diesels, New Holland, AGCO, Case, and Komatsu & Kubota. It is Industrial rated.
All external dimensions are identical as are the filter media specifications including the bypass pressure, micron rating and flow rate.
The only difference between the 51515 & 1452 is the burst rating of the canister.
The 51515 burst pressure is 290psi versus 415psi for the 1452.
The only application I can think of where this would be of concern is if the application was on a backup generator set which immediately goes to rated rpm. Under this condition cold oil pressure can and will go extremely high and can rupture the canister.
I doubt you operate your equipment in this manner.
The difference of 8 or 20psi is not a big deal. The bypass is there to provide adequate flow to engine components during cold starts or in the event the filter becomes plugged due to poor maintenance.

Thanks for that insight. What about the anti-drainback feature?

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #8  
If you check the Wix filter application listing for the 51515 you will find it is specified for Perkins diesels, New Holland, AGCO, Case, and Komatsu & Kubota. It is Industrial rated.
All external dimensions are identical as are the filter media specifications including the bypass pressure, micron rating and flow rate.
The only difference between the 51515 & 1452 is the burst rating of the canister.
The 51515 burst pressure is 290psi versus 415psi for the 1452.
The only application I can think of where this would be of concern is if the application was on a backup generator set which immediately goes to rated rpm. Under this condition cold oil pressure can and will go extremely high and can rupture the canister.
I doubt you operate your equipment in this manner.
The difference of 8 or 20psi is not a big deal. The bypass is there to provide adequate flow to engine components during cold starts or in the event the filter becomes plugged due to poor maintenance.

that heavier can in the 1452 is one of the reasons why I mentioned a 1452 over a 1515.. tractors see sticks and whatnot.

I've personally had thin oil filters ruptured from a stick hitting them.

I also kinds prefer the oem thick walled canisters that held elements, vs spin on 'conversions'.

soundguy

/ What oil filter? I'm so confused. #9  
Why not just pick up the CORRECT filter when you get those tedder teeth? 86546614 are $8.84 each.

Ha ha, you caught me being cheap. :)