Ford 1520 tractor engine problem

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #1  

gollum88

Tractor
Ford 1520 Diesel
I hope someone can help me with this. I have a Ford 1520 diesel tractor I purchased used 15 years ago. It's been a work horse!! Unfortunately my son got his truck stuck in the mud on the property and I used the tractor to pull him free. I pushed the engine pretty hard. Ever since then it will barely move regardless of what gear setting I'm in (moves best in reverse) and regardless of RPM speed. I worry I've ruined the engine or transmission. Anyone have any suggestions? I love that old tractor!!
Paul

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #2  
I hope someone can help me with this. I have a Ford 1520 diesel tractor I purchased used 15 years ago. It's been a work horse!! Unfortunately my son got his truck stuck in the mud on the property and I used the tractor to pull him free. I pushed the engine pretty hard. Ever since then it will barely move regardless of what gear setting I'm in (moves best in reverse) and regardless of RPM speed. I worry I've ruined the engine or transmission. Anyone have any suggestions? I love that old tractor!!
Paul

is it a gear trans or hydro. It sounds like it could be the clutch if a gear trans

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #3  
sounds like you burned the clutch up- If it will start and run fine (through out the RPM range) then engine is ok. If you can push clutch in and put into gear and it will go into all the gears, but when you let the clutch out it just creeps along then I would say 90% clutch. Buddy has a 1710 and clutch went out trying to pull a few stumps up!.. It was about 20yrs on original clutch.. Bad thing is you have to split the tractor in half to put a clutch in.. They are great older tractors..

AndyG

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem
Yes.... It's a manual transmission. Starts fine and will shift into all gears.
Thanks to you both for the replies. Sounds like I did burn out the clutch from what you both have said. Replacing the clutch sounds like a repair over my head though from reading this. Is it hard to do oneself?

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #5  
I would say that I am a good shade tree mec, but I wouldnt try this one, just dont have the room and heavy eqp to split the tractor in half to get to the clutch. but thats just me- your tractor is a good smaller one so I would spend the money and get it fixed!!!! I have spent a lot of hrs on that 1710 and it still runs great, just needs attention some times!

AndyG

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #6  
You might check the "clutch adjustment" first. I have split my 1715 twice now and it is not as hard as you would think. No heavy jacks or big equipment needed. A relatively flat surface is helpful (my driveway is concrete and it slopes some) a floor jack is good for the end you want to roll (one section can stay in place). Good luck if you try it yourself. Take pictures as you go, it helps on the reassembly.

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #7  
On a small tractor it's not as hard as it looks but takes time. You will need a good solid flat floor (concrete). Lots of wood blocks, an engine hoist and a floor jack. Look over the job carefully before you start. Everything that crosses the area where the clutch is will have to be disconnected. You block the front (engine) against the axle on both sides then put the engine hoist on the rear of the engine to hold it. Put the floor jack under the front of the the transmission and roll the rear wheels with the floor jack back away from the engine. Look the job over very carefully before you start cause once you start you are commited. I don't know what your level of mechanical ability is but that's the basics of how I would do it. A good survey of what's involved will probably make the decision easy for you. One way or the other.

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #8  
I would say, based on not being able to tell if this is an engine problem, that it is perhaps a job a bit over your skill level.

While it's a real good guess that you burned out the clutch, there could be something else going on. Probably best to let a pro do it.

--->Paul

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem #9  
To check for clutch. Start engine. give it some rpm. Set brakes. put in High gear. Let out the clutch slowly. If the tractor doesn't move and the engine pulls down a little most likely bad clutch. If it kills the engine most likely good clutch.

/ Ford 1520 tractor engine problem
You guys are great!! From listening here and trying the suggestions, it's definitely the clutch. I've done some minor repairs over the years but I'm not too proud to admit it's a repair well over my head. There are a number of other service issues overdue anyway. Probably will stop by the local tractor place out my way and arrange to have it picked up and fixed up.
Anyone know what a fair price would be for installing the new clutch?