Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #21  
I am still not sure I understand your questioning?

I never said A 4x4 prt was rare. Just that I wasn't familiar with it or even knew it existed. My knowledge of 65+ fords are limited to only 3400 I parted out, dads 4500, and my 5500.

The guy asking about his trans should have started a new thread. And we still don't even know what model or trans his BH even has

I was and still am confused as to why you were asking about my 5500. Am I missing something here??

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #22  
I am still not sure I understand your questioning?

I never said A 4x4 prt was rare. Just that I wasn't familiar with it or even knew it existed. My knowledge of 65+ fords are limited to only 3400 I parted out, dads 4500, and my 5500.

The guy asking about his trans should have started a new thread. And we still don't even know what model or trans his BH even has

I was and still am confused as to why you were asking about my 5500. Am I missing something here??

I asked a simple question about your 5500 because I am not familiar at all with them.
My thought was that it might have the same 4x4 PRT transmission that was under discussion.
It apparently does not, which explains your lack of familiarity with the 4x4 PRT transmission.
I hope this detailed explanation of my motives eases your confusion.
I'll go away now.

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #23  
I asked a simple question about your 5500 because I am not familiar at all with them.
My thought was that it might have the same 4x4 PRT transmission that was under discussion.
It apparently does not, which explains your lack of familiarity with the 4x4 PRT transmission.
I hope this detailed explanation of my motives eases your confusion.
I'll go away now.

Yes it explains it alot.:thumbsup:

Thats the darn trouble with the internet and forums, as it is hard to tell if someone is being genuine in their question or not. I guess I was reading into it too much:mur:

I do not know how similar or dissimilar the 6x6PRT and 4x4PRT are. I am not even that familiar with the 6x6 other than I know it has a huge and heavy Torque converter, cause I had to replace a input seal on the trans that was leaking. I also know it has its own fluid separate from the rear axle or BH hydraulics. And it also has its own temp gauge and filter. So mechanically, thats about all I know, other than how to drive one of course.

But I have to ask, how do you know it is the 4x4PRT that is under discussion and not just the standard 4x4?? Which is what I have been trying to get cleared up.

Also, since you ARE familiar with the 4x4 prt, is it similar to my 5500 in the sense that it does NOT have a clutch also??

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #24  
Yes it explains it alot.:thumbsup:

Thats the darn trouble with the internet and forums, as it is hard to tell if someone is being genuine in their question or not. I guess I was reading into it too much:mur:

I do not know how similar or dissimilar the 6x6PRT and 4x4PRT are. I am not even that familiar with the 6x6 other than I know it has a huge and heavy Torque converter, cause I had to replace a input seal on the trans that was leaking. I also know it has its own fluid separate from the rear axle or BH hydraulics. And it also has its own temp gauge and filter. So mechanically, thats about all I know, other than how to drive one of course.

But I have to ask, how do you know it is the 4x4PRT that is under discussion and not just the standard 4x4??
A standard 4x4 with a dry clutch ahead of it wouldn't have a wire and sending unit hanging off it, or a transmission cooler in front. It was also described by the OP as a 'shuttle transmission'.
Which is what I have been trying to get cleared up.

Also, since you ARE familiar with the 4x4 prt, is it similar to my 5500 in the sense that it does NOT have a clutch also??
Correct.

Answers inserted.

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #25  
Only based on the info we have received, I am still not positive its a prt.

I can't help him either way, just trying to get as many details as possible.

On my 5500, the hydraulic temp sender is on a steel line beside the trans also
Within inches of the tranny sender.

And given that the 4x4 standard trans has a hi-low shifter, I can see why some could call that a shuttle.

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year
This is TBN: relevance is optional.

The 4x4 Power Reversing transmission is neither rare nor unusual when discussing Ford Industrial Derivatives built between 1965 and the late Nineties. The 3500, 4500 and their 3 and 4 cylinder antecedents often had this transmission. You and I have different frames of reference, I recognized the 4X4 PRT for what it was right off the bat, but have never been within 50 yards of a 5500/6500.

HI Hendo1 great site a lot of help full people on this site the only way i found out what model mine backhoe is, ford 4500 3 CLY 4 speed with torque converter with linkage going down right side or transmission no electric work in with the transmission,they say make sure you use right oil for transmission and make sure it's full of oil

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #28  
im sorry fellows . i just got off working nights and got back on here. yes it is4 speed with torque converter and ur forward and revewrse shifter is up on steering wheel column(shuttle shift) has to be below 1600 rpm to shift forward or reverse. no clutch . to change gears1-4 u have to let idle all way down then change. does this help

/ Ford backhoe trying to out what model and year #29  
im sorry fellows . i just got off working nights and got back on here. yes it is4 speed with torque converter and ur forward and revewrse shifter is up on steering wheel column(shuttle shift) has to be below 1600 rpm to shift forward or reverse. no clutch . to change gears1-4 u have to let idle all way down then change. does this help

That confirms my thinking.