Hard Steering 6610

/ Hard Steering 6610 #1  

EDDIEONE

Tractor
Ford 6610
My Ford 6610 has developed very hard steering lately. There is a small amount of oil leaking at the steering box. I toped off the pump resevoir with 10w/30 oil and cycled the wheel stop-to-stop several times with no improvement. Where do I start repairing?

/ Hard Steering 6610 #2  
G'day have you changed the filter in the pwr steering resevoir? As for fluid in the system we normally run auto trans fluid in them.

Jon

/ Hard Steering 6610 #3  
134 hydraulic oil is recommended. 10W-30 should be fine, especially in Texas. ATF is preferred by some, and usually works OK as well. Plugged filter, loose relief valve (in pump body) or worn pump are some of the possibilities.

/ Hard Steering 6610 #4  
what steering does your 6610 have does it have cylinder under the front axle or not because if its not the pump would need to know this to recieve any other help

/ Hard Steering 6610
Thanks for the advice..cleaning pump and replacing filter helped but the problem was not enough system pressure. It was 560psi, adding a .01 shim to the relief valve spring got it up to almost 1000psi. Everything works fine again.