Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch

/ Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch #1  

AV8R737

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi folks, I am brand new to the forums and not much experience with tractors, so I look forward to using your knowledge and experience... I have an early 70's F3000, diesel. 2 questions to start with:
1. The RH power steering cylinder is leaking in the front. Is this repairable, can I change seals, o rings etc... to fix the leaks or do I have to replace the whole thing?

View attachment 1

2. I have a "fluid" leak from the cover plate where the clutch pedal arm enters into the body of the tractor. Any ideas on how to stop the leak- do I need to change a gasket/snugging the bolts did not do the trick?

Attachments

• image-1425876569.jpg
    image-1425876569.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,944
   / Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch
I did not upload the tractor pic. Sorry don't know where that came from!

/ Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch #3  
Your PS cylinders may or may not be original. Can't tell from here.
The aftermarket ones can be disassembled from the front end and rebuilt. The OEM ones are not rebuildable inside but you can replace the seal where the rod goes in to the body. Spendy though. Get one at CNH - only place I know. Remove the circlip and pry the seal out with an ice pick or small screw driver.

"2. I have a "fluid" leak from the cover plate where the clutch pedal arm enters into the body of the tractor. Any ideas on how to stop the leak- do I need to change a gasket/snugging the bolts did not do the trick?"

I know these tractors well and could help you but do not understand your question. On the tranny or on the rear?

Thanks Normdog, I believe the ps is original, am I better off just replacing the cylinder or should I try the kit you referred too -I think it was approx $90 from the new holland dealership in my town.

With regard to the leak, where the clutch pedal arm goes from the area just above the LH running board into the body of the tractor, there seems to be s cover plate of some sort, and it looks like transmission fluid is dripping out if there ...I can't find a picture right now. Perhaps I can get one to you later.

SORRY... Thanks Ultradog!

/ Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch #6  
The shaft holding the clutch pedal goes through the housing and also holds the brake pedals on the right hand side. There are seals on this shaft on both sides just inside the housing. Sorry but you'll have to drain the fluid from the rear end housing and remove the brake pedals because the shaft slides through toward the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal don't have to be removed from the shaft. Replace seals and felts on each side while you got it out. The seals will remain in the housing when the shaft is removed.

Your local dealer can get you the parts or you may want to order them online? Seals part # = D9NN2N289AA - - - less than $10 each
Felt part # = D9NN2N171A - - - also less than $10 each

I should say I'm not a mechanic just trying to offer some insight. I would strongly suggest finding you a service manual. You'll be able to perform a lot of work yourself if you have one.

It's amazing but you can find most, if not all, parts for your machine.

About your power steering cylinder, my local hydraulic shop fixed mine for $75 with me taking it off and carring to them. I'm not sure what they done but it don't leak anymore:).

/ Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch #7  
It's me again! If you're looking up parts for this it's called a Brake Pedal Shaft.

Good Luck.

Steve - thank you, I need to get the service manual as you said, but I appreciate the advice. I do think I'll make some phone calls about the PS cylinder. I also need to change all fluids anyway, so I'll try and change seals then.

/ Ford 3000, steering and leaks at clutch #9  
Sorry.
I still do not know what you are talking about.
In the picture I see the clutch pedal above the step plate.
Moving towards the rear of the tractor I see the pto handle which does have 3 bolts holding it on the the body of the tractor and could possibly leak.
Lastly I see the round inspection cover and the bracket which holds the step plate on. That cover is held in by 4 bolts and it could leak too.

100_07141.jpg

Ultradog, thanks for your patience... And the picture. In the picture, the clutch arm goes down below the foot plate, and then turns and enters the body of the tractor, I think Steve said its called the brake pedal shaft - (anyway, mines a 1972, diesel, 4gear hi/lo). Where the shaft enters the body it looks like a cover plate around the shaft and that is what appears to be leaking.