Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
I went to replace my proofmeter cable but am puzzled by what I found. I pulled out the old broken cable end and it had the part in the photo below attached to it. One end has a square hole and had a short piece sticking out, the other round with the broken cable end in it. I can't figure out how it goes back together. Is the square piece supposed to be separate? The new cable doesn't want to go all of the way through and doesn't stick out far enough anyways. Can anyone help?

P1050896square.jpg

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive #2  
I went to replace my proofmeter cable but am puzzled by what I found. I pulled out the old broken cable end and it had the part in the photo below attached to it. One end has a square hole and had a short piece sticking out, the other round with the broken cable end in it. I can't figure out how it goes back together. Is the square piece supposed to be separate? The new cable doesn't want to go all of the way through and doesn't stick out far enough anyways. Can anyone help?

P1050896square.jpg

is that the end off the tack drive under the oil filter if so you will need to remove the oil filter then then remove the bolt in the tach drive cover and remoce it and get a new drive

there should be a cable made onto the end of the piece you showed

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive
So if I understand what you're saying, the fact that that piece is out means the drive head has become unuseable?

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive #4  
So you're saying that piece came out of the back of the proofmeter??

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive #5  
So if I understand what you're saying, the fact that that piece is out means the drive head has become unuseable?

no you can replace just the drive ***. and not the head you just need to remove the head to get the new one back in

So you're saying that piece came out of the back of the proofmeter??
It came out with a broken piece of cable where the cable attaches.
no you can replace just the drive ***. and not the head you just need to remove the head to get the new one back in
I can slide the old piece back in easily enough, I just didn't understand how it works. Apparently the little square piece sticking out the bottom of the piece engages the drive head, and the new cable goes in the other end. Does that sound right? Then the whole thing is held together by the screw cap attaching the cable to the drive head?

/ Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive #7  
It came out with a broken piece of cable where the cable attaches.

I can slide the old piece back in easily enough, I just didn't understand how it works. Apparently the little square piece sticking out the bottom of the piece engages the drive head, and the new cable goes in the other end. Does that sound right? Then the whole thing is held together by the screw cap attaching the cable to the drive head?

yes that sounds about right the little square piece that is broken should be about 1 to 1.5 in long and engages in to the drive head that is under that cover the drive really is the oil pump drive shaft gear which is ran off the cam

Thanks for the help, I think I've got the picture. :)