Default Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive

I went to replace my proofmeter cable but am puzzled by what I found. I pulled out the old broken cable end and it had the part in the photo below attached to it. One end has a square hole and had a short piece sticking out, the other round with the broken cable end in it. I can't figure out how it goes back together. Is the square piece supposed to be separate? The new cable doesn't want to go all of the way through and doesn't stick out far enough anyways. Can anyone help?

Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550 Industrial Loader, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, 7 assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely Commercial 10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Tractor
    fords

Default Re: Ford 4100 Proofmeter Cable Drive

Quote Originally Posted by CTPhil View Post
    I went to replace my proofmeter cable but am puzzled by what I found. I pulled out the old broken cable end and it had the part in the photo below attached to it. One end has a square hole and had a short piece sticking out, the other round with the broken cable end in it. I can't figure out how it goes back together. Is the square piece supposed to be separate? The new cable doesn't want to go all of the way through and doesn't stick out far enough anyways. Can anyone help?

is that the end off the tack drive under the oil filter if so you will need to remove the oil filter then then remove the bolt in the tach drive cover and remoce it and get a new drive

there should be a cable made onto the end of the piece you showed

So if I understand what you're saying, the fact that that piece is out means the drive head has become unuseable?
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550 Industrial Loader, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, 7 assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely Commercial 10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TL80a, Ford 4000, Super H, F 12, F14

So you're saying that piece came out of the back of the proofmeter??

Tractor
    fords

So if I understand what you're saying, the fact that that piece is out means the drive head has become unuseable?
    no you can replace just the drive ***. and not the head you just need to remove the head to get the new one back in

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdustsmb View Post
    So you're saying that piece came out of the back of the proofmeter??
    It came out with a broken piece of cable where the cable attaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat526 View Post
    no you can replace just the drive ***. and not the head you just need to remove the head to get the new one back in
    I can slide the old piece back in easily enough, I just didn't understand how it works. Apparently the little square piece sticking out the bottom of the piece engages the drive head, and the new cable goes in the other end. Does that sound right? Then the whole thing is held together by the screw cap attaching the cable to the drive head?

Tractor
    fords

It came out with a broken piece of cable where the cable attaches.

I can slide the old piece back in easily enough, I just didn't understand how it works. Apparently the little square piece sticking out the bottom of the piece engages the drive head, and the new cable goes in the other end. Does that sound right? Then the whole thing is held together by the screw cap attaching the cable to the drive head?
    yes that sounds about right the little square piece that is broken should be about 1 to 1.5 in long and engages in to the drive head that is under that cover the drive really is the oil pump drive shaft gear which is ran off the cam

Thanks for the help, I think I've got the picture.