Ford 861 PTO not engaging

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #1  

sthiel29

Tractor
Ford 861 Powermaster
I can't get the PTO to engage on my Ford 861 Powermaster tractor. It seems like the lever for the PTO won't push back all the way to get it to engage. I removed the side access panel and the shaft out of the back. When i pulled the shaft out and pushed the PTO lever back and forth, it would slide all the way in. then i replaced the shaft and the PTO would spin and engage. Two min later when i hooked up the 5' mower deck, I couldn't get the PTO to engage and it seems like the lever won't go all the way back again.
I am not sure what is wrong, or why I could get it to engage after removing the shaft but wouldn't engage after hooking up the mower deck?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #2  
the shaft or sliding collar is most likely twisted a little bit

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #3  
i agree.. see any twist in the rear splines? any chewing onthe sliding collar?.. and shiny metal showign on the splines wher eit has worn in from being tight.. if so that's where it is binding.

ditto on rusty areas too.

post back

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #4  
I have the Ford 860. It has two settings for the clutch and you can't engage the PTO unless you use adjust the clutch pedal to its highest point. The lower setting is fine for shifting gears but not for the PTO.

You probably know this but if the tractor is new to you this might be an easy fix.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging
I have to pull the shaft back out again this weekend, but I didn't see any uneven wear or bent up splines. The shaft looked like it was in good shape yet. But I will check again.

Should I try adjusting the clutch, because it worked fine for me for the last 3 years using the mower deck, with never having to adjust the clutch before?

Thanks for the help

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #6  
hard to shift.. or grinds/

if it grinds.. check clutch freeplay adjustment.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #7  
if it is hard to shift remove shaft and sliding collar and try and slide on and off by hand

if it is hard to shift remove shaft and sliding collar and try and slide on and off by hand

I did remove the shaft, and the lever & access panel, to slide it back and forth by hand. I could get it to slide all the way when the shaft was removed, but only when the shaft was removed, would it manually slide all the way. Then the PTO engaged when i put it all back together, but wouldn't engage again after i hooked up the mower deck. That's why i'm confused as to what's going on.

hard to shift.. or grinds/

if it grinds.. check clutch freeplay adjustment.

Where exactly is the clutch freeplay adjustment located?
Sorry, had the tractor for years, just kind of new to fixing it.

/ Ford 861 PTO not engaging #10  
slide the collar on and off the shaft by hand is what i ment