Ford 4000su steering issue

/ Ford 4000su steering issue #1  

2006gmcdmax

Gold Member
Tractor
Many but mostly ford diesels or ihc or jds
Ui have a ford 4000su and it is not power steering but any high gear the front tires wobble left to right or shake left to right. I can put both my feet on the steering that come out the gear box and push hard and it'll stop is my gear box loose maybe and needs adjusting or what all the ballpoints are in good shape

/ Ford 4000su steering issue #2  
you are asking us?.. make the observations!

if you have loose wheel beairngs, loose front hubs, loose tie rod ends or draglinks, loose fit of sector arm to sector shaft, play in the sector backlash to the ballnut assy, or worn thrust bearings, you will have play.

id where the play is.. then post back.

ford manual steering boxes are VERY EASY to rebuild...

also.. if you do not have correct toe in, and hte tires can splay outward.. it will cause tracking and wobble problems..

/ Ford 4000su steering issue
I was asking a question but thanks

/ Ford 4000su steering issue #4  
My point was that you are asking us a questiont hat you already have the answer to.

your machine has all the evidence.

make physical observations on where the problem areas are then post back for specific instructions.

your tractor is not setting in my shop for me to tell you where it has slop. if it was, i'd have answered as such.

with it being at your place.. you will have to tell us where the slop is.. then we can tell you the methof of repair or replacement.

Yeah can u even adjust the steering gearbox or no? And yes I know it seems to just have slop in the steering arm that comes out the gearbox on the right hand side, but I have other issues now the motor started smoking turned it off now is locked up.
5FD5485A-C90F-4645-922B-8B18343D4006-763-00000070DA8D9066.jpg

My old tractor I sold for this POS 4000su
03e56450.jpg

Restored from top to bottom

/ Ford 4000su steering issue #6  
if nothing else, the steering box is rebuildable.

post a right side pic as well.

PS... i'd take a 4000su over a 3000 ANY day.

better rear end/brakes, bettern pto / hyds possibilities too.

more cubes...

just as nimble as a 3k, and aside from steering and laoder use.. 95% as capable as a 4000

I will take one and send it later this evening. yeah me too I'd take my 3000 back though because it was fully restored and it ran haha. I bought this 4000su from a guy in Atlanta had no blow by or anything no sparkles in the oil. forgot to check the oil can at the bottom of the breather well yesterday when it started to smoke I pulled the grill off and of course what was missing? the oil bath at the bottom of the breather so now it is locked up and time for sleeves pistons bearings the whole gotta love a new old tractor

/ Ford 4000su steering issue #8  
hmm.. i doubt it locked up from lack of the filter..

that makes em' loose and loose compression.. not seize.

I wonder what made it seize up then it had blow by or something coming from the oil fill shut it off then 15 minutes later tired to crank it and the start just hammers once and that's all it does when you tune the key

How will I know which pistons and bearing to get for my tractor also I see standard to .40 over and is it a 201 and do all 201s have sleeves or no