Tractor
    Ford 3000

Default Ford 3000 Very Slow Hydraulics

I'm helping out a retired neighbor who recently bought a mid 70's Ford 3000. It's had a loader installed on it by cutting the pressure line on the right side coming from the pump and tying in the loader control valve. The problem is the loader is extremely slow. After starting it up, it takes 1-2 minutes before the loader will move at all. I tore into the rear and checked the filters. They were in good shape. Next, I rebuilt the pump including all new o-rings and seals. I found that the pump drive shaft had some wear on it where the seal rides behind the bearing so I offset the new seal about 1/8" to make sure it has a smooth surface. Still seems to have the same problem, though. I don't have a lot of hydraulic test equipment, but when priming the pump, I loosened the fitting going to the loader control valve and I seem to have good flow. Based on the fact that it takes so long to start working after starting up, I'm thinking I have a problem in the suction line, possibly sucking air someplace. I'm at a loss where it would be, though, since I've replaced all the seals around the pump and don't see any evidence of leaks in the line.

Has anyone ever solved a problem like this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: Ford 3000 Very Slow Hydraulics

Are you using the correct fluid. Somefolks use gear oil instead of the proper trans/hydraulic fluid. It's possible that you have a leaky relief valve that's "stealing" flow from the pump circuit. Pumps sucking air will "scream", making a high frequency noise. Are you sure the seal you replaced and offset is sealing? Maybe a speedy sleeve should have been used o the shaft to improve the seal surface.

Loader speed is controlled by the pump flow rate. Most hydraulic pumps on these older tractors were sized for the three point hitch only and a separate, crankshaft driven front pump was used for loaders. Some times a pto driven pump was used. The use of a small capacity pump will slow down loader speed. It should respond to the control valve right away albiet slowly raising the loader.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

do you have a front mount pump.. or are you talking about the engine side pump? if side pump, i'm amazed at the trouble went thru to get into the hyds.. since you could have used a remote valve under the seat, or asc valve.. or even a PB plate under the blank off plate.,

the suction line has an oring and is prone to leak.. the pressur eline is a comp fitting and can too.. but does not seem to be your issue..

Tractor
    Ford 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    do you have a front mount pump.. or are you talking about the engine side pump? if side pump, i'm amazed at the trouble went thru to get into the hyds.. since you could have used a remote valve under the seat, or asc valve.. or even a PB plate under the blank off plate.,

the suction line has an oring and is prone to leak.. the pressur eline is a comp fitting and can too.. but does not seem to be your issue..
    It only has the engine side pump, no front pump. Where is the o-ring you're talking about? I'm guessing it's on the lower right side where the lines go into the rear end. By the way, where's the pressure relief valve on this tractor?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

first.

time to get a service manual.

oring at pump end is the one that usually leaks.

center housing