Ford 640 ignition

/ Ford 640 ignition #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
I all, hope this is in the right place.
I have a 640 ford and it is always worked hard and running great. It is time for a clean sweep on ignition, everything is due for replacement. The tractor is 12 volt by the way. I was reading and thinking about going all msd ignition. Has anyone done this? Will it work?

/ Ford 640 ignition #2  
can you put in an ei? sure. the price of one is about 5x or more higher than a full tune up with premium parts mind you.

I'm currently ( pun intended ) getting 8+ years on average on breakers. I have some at 10 and 13.. and some on the same set as i got them with..

cleaned, regapped and rubbing block lubed with cam lobe lube every year. i even clean up the rotor button and dizzy cal.. only replacing either when they crack or the flap spring contact actually rubs thru.

if you go ei.. follow the manufacturers info to a T includingf power routing and coil type. Use the better, more expensive 'smart' ei that remembers to turn the 'key' off if you forget to. the older dumb ei will burn up just like points will if you forget and leave the key on.... of course you pay more for that.

Lastly. Always rememebr when removing the battery to hook it up corretly the first time. you get -0- 'free passes' on reverse polarity on the alt and EI. about 400ns is enough to do 'rebuild or replace' damage to either.. :)

Most of my gassers are on breakers... I do have EI though.

both start and run if you do the proper maint on the rest of the tractor.

don't expect any hp increases.. more rpm or better fuel economy. No hair will grow back.. you won't loose any weight.. skin won't tighten and you won't get any more attractive to the opposite sex. The EI sellers will claim much of that. :)

What you will get, for sure, is not having to clean and gap the points once a year.

post back if ya gots any questions on either.

/ Ford 640 ignition #3  
I did it in a car and it works fine, but kinda wished I hadn't. A pertronix. Works fine, but no real gain when compared with the expense. Also, when an EI ignition dies you're out of business until you fork out more $$ to get another unit. I always have a spare set of points on the shelf. Bob

/ Ford 640 ignition #4  
yep.. if you put an ei in. save the breaker plate in a ziplock, and have a new set of points and condensor installed and ready to go.. keep it with you so you can get home when the ei decides it's had enough.

most of the time a fingernail file will get you home with a breaker system.. not so on ei.. ;) takes 1 week and another 150$ :) ;)

/ Ford 640 ignition
I realize I am not going to be going to the dragstrip or pulling a tile plow if I change ignitions. I was thinking about installing a msd digital 6a, blaster coil, and wires. I will keep my old stuff of course, I try to keep what comes off. My engine is in good health. I really don't have to add oil, it does not burn it, and it takes a good while to discolor. I am not really trying to breathe new life into a worn out turd. Just looking to freshen up and sharpen the blade if you know what I mean.
I was also curious about distributors. Anyone recommend a good manufacturer for a cap and rotor or even an entire distributor?

/ Ford 640 ignition #6  
no reason to replace a dizzy that isn't worn out.

if the advacne is good and the bushings are tight.. run her.

seen prestolite.. etc.

for cap and rotor and whatnot.. napa is quite a bit better than tisco.. which is what many cnh dealers might sell you, as well as farm stores.

here's my sidemount parts list showing many good part numbers.. all premium lines::

Side-Mount Distributor: 8n thru 4 cyl thousand series

gap points to .025

NAPA HEAVY DUTY PIERCED (ventilated) #CS753
Standard Ignition #FD-8081
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-8081X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA66
Standard Ignition #FD-75
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD75X (Premium)
Rotor:
NAPA #FA67
Standard Ignition #FD-108
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA352
Standard Ignition #FD-128

side mount points hold down screws #8-32 X 3/16
FORD AUTOMOBILE dealer parts counter. come with built-in lockwasher. p/n 355047-S7 (#8-32 X 0.19)

All 4 cyl models can use AL-437 or champion H12 spark plugs instead of OEM Champion H10 or AL 216 plugs.

/ Ford 640 ignition
I understand not replacing one that is not worn. I wouldn't mind having one on the shelf though. Always wondered if that distributor was shared in any other engine.

/ Ford 640 ignition #8  
lots of them in t he 55+ red tigers. went into the 70's with industrial engines... )

be aware that the early naa engine is a red tiger as well.. but uses a different dizzy..

/ Ford 640 ignition
I am really appreciating your help soundguy. I asked around today to see if there was a dyno local and I think there is. My plan if I go the msd route is to record before and after. Down the road I might do some additional tinkering. I really enjoy fords and would like to start doing something beside working it to death.

/ Ford 640 ignition #10  
they love being worked.

I used to have time to go to tractor shows. always say the pretty JD's there.. they used to rib me and ask me where all the fords were.. my reply was that they were still home working and weren't ready to be retired to pull a parade float.. ;)

usually got a few blank stares from that one.. sometiems a comment or 'finger'.. :)