861D Starting Problem

/ 861D Starting Problem #1  

jtmcdon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford/861D
I have a 1958 Ford 861D and I am having trouble getting it to start normally. Right now, the only way I can get it started is jump across the large terminals on the solenoid/starter relay using two screw drivers. My problem might be the starter switch. If so, how can I confirm if the starter switch is bad. I'ver tried connecting the wire direct to the negative battery terminal but it did'nt help.

The solenoid, voltage regulator are new and the generator is a new rebuild. I by-passed the ignition switch by using a jumper wire and the generator light will light up. When the tractor starts the generator light goes out, which I assume is normal...right?

The tractor is easy to start and runs good. Oil pressure is always between 40 and 60.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Tom

/ 861D Starting Problem #2  
this question loos familiar.. i know I have replied to it somewhere.

is it the correct 4 post ford solenoid. one lil post eeds key power.. other lil post needs ground from the thumb switch... easy to test...

/ 861D Starting Problem
this question loos familiar.. i know I have replied to it somewhere.

is it the correct 4 post ford solenoid. one lil post eeds key power.. other lil post needs ground from the thumb switch... easy to test...

Hi Soundguy,

The solenoid is a 4 post but whether or not it's the correct one I really can't say, I wish I knew exactly which one to buy. It has the two outside post and the two small post are labeled "S" and "I". Please help if you can. Regarding the key switch, I'm confident the tractor is wired correctly but I'm not necessary confident the key switch is good or bad. So I removed the two wires from the key switch and made a jumper wire. When I connect the jumper to the yellow and black key switch wires the generator light comes on and when I start the tractor with the two screw drivers the generator light goes out.

I tried to ohm the thumb switch but I could not get my meter to move. I removed the single wire and ground it to other areas of the tractor frame, including the negative battery terminal and it stll will not start/turn-over. The only way it will start is by using the two screw drives across the two large selonid terminals.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

/ 861D Starting Problem #4  
you need to find out what solenoid you have!

you need a 4 post solenoid that takes power onone small terminal, and ground on another AND you need a working thumb switch...

/ 861D Starting Problem
you need to find out what solenoid you have!

you need a 4 post solenoid that takes power onone small terminal, and ground on another AND you need a working thumb switch...

Since there is no part number stamped on the solenoid I have, I'll order another solenoid online. After searching the web I think the part number is 311006.

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / 861D Starting Problem #6  
st542 at napa should be the 4 post solenoid.

/ 861D Starting Problem
Thank you!

Soundguy,

I replaced the solenoid and now the tractor will start but I had to take the thumb switch wire loose from the switch and ground it direct to the battery tray. I would say the half my problem is resolved. Next step is to replace the thumb switch. My tractor is a 5 speed, is there anything that I need to pay close attention to when I remove the gear stick? My concern is springs could fly loose.

Also, I found one of your older posting, do you still have a copy of this write up, the link is no longer sctive.

Re: Replacing the push button starter switch on a Ford 640? in reply to Charlie in NY, 03-06-2011 09:02:22

fellow listmember bruce and i did a good write up on this procedure, it ran in the n-news, a great ford publication. here is a link to the article... ps.. the n-news is full of good stuff.. you might want to subscribe to them..
soundguy

n news

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks. Tom

Last edited:
   / 861D Starting Problem #9  
the 5spd has a nut atop the shifter and the shifter itself will need to come up and off. may be sticky from being on forever...

let me see if i can find a pdf of that article...

/ 861D Starting Problem
the 5spd has a nut atop the shifter and the shifter itself will need to come up and off. may be sticky from being on forever...

let me see if i can find a pdf of that article...

Thanks Soundguy.