Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    1978 Ford 4600

    Default How do I remove the snap rings on my 1978 Ford 4600 shifters?

    The plastic retainers on my tractor shift levers are worn out, leaking water into the tranny and jamming my shifter. There is a snap ring holding a spring which holds a plastic retainer that protects the shifter mechanism. I have to get that snap ring off before I can replace that retainer. Can anyone help me figure out how to remove that **** snap ring?

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    North of Mtl,Que,Can (Ste Adele)

    Default Re: How do I remove the snap rings on my 1978 Ford 4600 shifters?

    By snap ring, if you refer to a ring that is about 330 degrees with little loops at the end, there exists inner and outer snap ring pliers just for that purpose.
    Carried by most auto part supply stores and better hardware stores.
    The best ones will have interchangeable ends some being straight and some bent for the difficult angles.

Similar Threads

  1. Backhoe 1978 ford 750 backhoe
    By westcafe in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 10:41 PM
  2. snap rings
    By bellweather in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
© 2018 TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.