fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy!

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #1  

fordmoneypit

Tractor
Hello folks would definetly love to cure this issue that i am having.I rebuilt the entire engine on my 1720 tractor that I purchased with a spun bearing,I used all new parts from the stealer! I adjusted the valves and unit is running great except for the fact it has oil coming out of exhaust and spitting all over the place! any help would be appreciated. I have heard the thermostat housing had a recall but cant find info on it thank you I hope I posted this in the correct area

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #2  
Gday have you loaded it up and made her WORK ( i don't mean just driving around the yard )? It may just nedd the rings to bed in or you may have broken a ring during assy:(. I once rebuilt an old 6 cyl ford diesel with a mix of old and new parts for an old clayson header and it smoked like a trooper running on the stand, as soon as it was in the machine the load of the drive belts was enough to bed the rings in and it cleaned up a treat. That machine stripped about another 1000+ hectares before they sold the farm and never used oil.

Jon

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy!
Well thanx for the reply banjo. I had the motor bored 40 over with a ton of other newstuff! I have worked slightly. I bought a brand new thermostat for it and was labeled 71 celsius and that convert to 160 fahrenheit ,my tractor is just getting luke warm after running at around 1700 rpm for a half hour.No real smoke to speak of but exhaust is soaking wet and makes a complete mess of my fresh paintjob. Should i try to locate a 190 thermostat? I also tried to vise grip the drain line from block to radiator next I will block radiator with cardboard. Coolant has to be bypassing the thermostat could it be the radiator cap? if i remember correctly the upper hose should get stiff with psi mine is squishy all the tim. Thanx any suggestions would be so helpfull Jeff

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #4  
If the tractor calls for a 190 t-stat then that's what I'd put in it, replace the rad cap also. Are you sure it's oil coming out the exhaust ports, if it's running cold it could be un-burnt fuel. Did you replace the valve stem seals when you rebuilt the engine and are you getting any vapor out of the crankcase breather tube when it's running.

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #5  
Just FYI, I put a shutoff in that bypass line on my 2120 and it really didn't affect the temp much. It does seen unlikely you have that much oil coming out the exhaust, more like fuel.
Jim

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #6  
Go work the snot out of it to get it up to temperature and that should fix the problem. make sure that tyou have the correct thermostat. I don't know the specs on your machine but the thermostat should be rated at 190F-195F.

/ fresh rebuilt 1720 wet stacking like crazy! #7  
Kick up the RPM to PTO speed what ever that is on your machine and get it off high idle(1700 rpm), load the engine up as heavy as you can without lugging it and work it a few hours. Even with the engine cold it shouldnt be throwing off unburned fuel unless maybe it is running for long period of time at the low rpm. I am with banjodunn on the need to seat the rings. Then work on getting the proper thermostat.