tc45da

/ tc45da #1  

John075

Hydostatic Transmission makes loud squealing noise when pedal is pushed in either direction. is it possible that if the fluid or filter is dirty this will occur. I do know that hydrostatic transmissions do make some whinning sound that is normal. This whine will chase you out of the cab.

Thanks
John

/ tc45da #2  
It could also be air in the lines. Check for air leaks on the line coming from the main hydraulic filter. There's a rubber 'T' under the right operator platform that often gets loose and leaks air.

/ tc45da
Thanks jinman..I also heard that if the 3pt lever is just slightly past the lock slot towards being engaged rather than pulling into the lock slot can also be a symptom. Something about overriding the detent of the valve. I will check all the hydraulic lines too.

/ tc45da #4  
John, the 3PH can have the maximum height cutout lever mis-adjusted and cause the main hydraulic system to go into relief bypass, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the HST transmission. That's from the main pump on the engine. The main hydraulic system and the HST both draw fluid from the reservoir through the big hydraulic filter on the right side back near the rear wheel. After that filter, the big line runs up under the right-side platform and splits at a "T" in the line. One leg of the "T" is going to the HST and the other leg goes to the main pump. This line is under suction anytime the tractor is running and the rubber "T" needs to be very tight.

I can tell you that the charge pump for the HST will squeal when it cavitates. I recently stalled my tractor under load and just before the engine died, the HST charge pump cavitated. The HST pedal got harder to operate and I could hear the charge pump. That's why I think you might be drawing air. As you guessed, it also could be clogged filters. If the pump cannot get enough fluid, it will cavitate and squeal.

/ tc45da
Hi Jim

Thanks for the info on the 3ph. I actually just got back from checking to make sure that my info on the HST pedal was accurate as i stated earlier and this is exactly what it is doing, First as i push the forward pedal to about half way its pretty normal from what i expect from a HST. However as i go harder than that if my foot bounces just a little bit that's when it really squeals loud.It actually mimics the movement of my foot( I hope I'm making sense). Going backwards nothing out of the normal that would be considered excessive noise at all. I did check that "T" fitting you reffered to and as best I can tell no leaking. Next i will do all the filter and fluid changes. I'm sure we will get it nailed. Does any of this change your thoughts as to what it might be or are we on the right track.

Thanks so much
John

/ tc45da #6  
What range were you in, John? Try the pedal in Range I - Turtle and then in Range I - Rabbit to see if it makes a difference. When the transmission is cold, it sure makes more whine, especially in higher ranges. Your cab will also amplify all that noise. It should be much less when the tractor is completely warmed up.

/ tc45da
Yup I tried in both ranges and both turtle and rabbit. Cold and all warmed up. Definitely better in low range than in high but it still occurs. I hope to be able to change the filters and fluids tonight if I can. Do I need to be careful with the hydraulic fluid draining or just drain put back in plugs and fill. I do know to watch out for anything milky.

thanks

John

/ tc45da #8  
You've probably already found out, but there is nothing special. You have two drain plugs on the bottom of the transmission case and you can remove the plug on the front of the 4WD transfer box too to get all the fluid. I hope you had plenty of buckets to catch the fluid. That's the thing that most people don't prepare for and their catch bucket/pan may overflow from all the fluid. Also, when you refill, it will probably take no more than 7.5 to 8 gallons. Be careful to not overfill. Add the last couple of gallons slowly and check the dipstick often.

BTW: The first owners of cabs on early tractors all complained of the excessive transmission noise inside the cab. New Holland came out with a silencing kit to reduce the noise. Is it possible you didn't get that kit on your tractor? Also, look for any loose connectors on the cab mounting. Loose connectors allow more vibration and can cause increased noise. Hydraulic lines loose in clamps often make vibrating noise.

Here's a link to a thread about cab noise reduction.

/ tc45da
Hey Jim

Just called my dealer about this kit. He said his service guy was unaware of it but I convinced them to look into it with enthusiasm. I am gonna wait until I hear back. If there is anything else that you know of that I could pass on to them to help them locate the kit would be tremendously appreciated. I can't begin to thank you for all your help besides.

Nohn

/ tc45da
Hey Jim

Update: good news dealer found kit. Bad news: I am out of warranty. Oh well!! I think it is worth doing cause it will be a lot cheaper than a new one..lol
I will post the results when I'm
done should be about 2 weeks, they have to order,maybe 1
I can't begin to thank you enough. I am going to also do all the things you suggested as well. I am even happier because I really was looking to upgrade if this squealing couldn't be resolved and to be honest the new ones weren't really exciting me with no more shibura engine and I'm not convinced that CVT trans is all that much better. To many changes going on for me.

Again many thanks and I will post the results

John