Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke?

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke? #1  

2006gmcdmax

Gold Member
Tractor
Many but mostly ford diesels or ihc or jds
The tractor cold or hot fires right up give or take a few spin overs. When it fires up it'll blue smoke if u push the fuel lever to all the way down so it's idling. If you bump it down a few rpms to say 800 it clears right up. The tractor the whole time it runs is fine just a little blackish grey here and there with throttle excelleration. I don't know if smoke comes out the crankcase vent tube haven't checked. Oil seems to stay clean and it hasn't used any yet. When the tractor is in 3 and high and your going down a hill u can bump the rpms down to say idle or a little above it smokes pretty good till you guve it some fuel is this normal? It has a CAV pump if this helps! Could it use some rings or just let it go?

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke? #2  
It is burning oil. The rings are most likly starting to go. I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't bother it. Think of it as a contiuos oil change. All you have to do us check the oil level and fill when needed.

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke?
Haha well looks like I'm doing rings then haha I'm a fanatic about things being perfect and a guy is supposed to come buy it soon so I can't sell him that if they were bad it would let crank as good would

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke? #4  
My Ford 4000 diesel starts up good when cold..........but when you work it a bit and shut it off it doesn't want to re-start without starting fluid or letting it cool down a bunch. I learned this summer to just let it idle until I was done with it for the day..............I plan on trying to do something..........just haven't decided if it is the CAV pump you mention........it does have a lot of external leaks that need fixing.......or if someone has been too happy with the ether in the past..... I do know I managed to put over 160 hours since last May pulling a Durabilt DP60 dirt pan moving dirt to build a driveway and start excavation for a pond at the same time.

Yeah I have no clue mine fires right up everyday no issues it has some fuel leaks tho

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke? #6  
The tractor cold or hot fires right up give or take a few spin overs. When it fires up it'll blue smoke if u push the fuel lever to all the way down so it's idling. If you bump it down a few rpms to say 800 it clears right up. The tractor the whole time it runs is fine just a little blackish grey here and there with throttle excelleration. I don't know if smoke comes out the crankcase vent tube haven't checked. Oil seems to stay clean and it hasn't used any yet. When the tractor is in 3 and high and your going down a hill u can bump the rpms down to say idle or a little above it smokes pretty good till you guve it some fuel is this normal? It has a CAV pump if this helps! Could it use some rings or just let it go?

The oil contol rings could be loaded with carbon from not being worked to much and at idle, the peak gas tempertures are pretty low so the clearances are probably bigger. I'd work the snot out of it some and see if that clears up the problem. A bit a black smoke on accel is most likely normal as you have to add exceess fuel to accelerate the engine. If you're not seeing a lot of blow by from the breather tube then your rings are probably good.

Yeah I'll try that it'll get a work out when I hook the bottom plow to it next week

I kind of want to do mains and connecting rod bearings an rings just for the heck of it

/ Ford 4000 diesel blue smoke? #10  
I kind of want to do mains and connecting rod bearings an rings just for the heck of it

Sounds like you are itching to spend money on it before cashing the check. If it starts well, runs well, and doesn't burn oil, why mess with it?
You are selling a 35-45 year old tractor for Pete's sake. Diesels smoke some. They smoke more at startup when cold. If I were buying it, I'd probably want it left alone.