3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak?

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #1  

2006gmcdmax

Gold Member
Tractor
Many but mostly ford diesels or ihc or jds
My 4000 ford has a steady drip from the hole in bottom of the bell housing. It's not motor oil but hydro fluid or thats how it smells atleast. Could it be the Input shaft seal on the tranny or what that's the only seal on that end of the tranny right? And also where can I get the seal what size is it or are they all the same?

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #2  
Most likely but it could be other things as well, depending upon transmission and hydraulic pump location.

SDT

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak?
Yeah maybe so I'm not sure where the hydro pump is on this tractor I know it's not on te side of te motor haven't really looked for it though

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #4  
Yeah maybe so I'm not sure where the hydro pump is on this tractor I know it's not on te side of te motor haven't really looked for it though
It is, I'm told, in the hydraulic sump, right side, in front of the differential.

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #5  
Rick B gave you some good advice about the clutch, etc. in your other thread about the tractor smoking.
In addition to what he said there are two tranny input shaft seals. Replace them both while you are in there.
Also, I never split one without also replacing the rear seal on the engine.
Just because.
The hydraulic pump is on the right side of the tractor by the foot plate.
In the picture I am pointing to is the plug where you check the rear end oil level. That plug screws into the pump body.

100_02741.jpg

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #6  
PS,
Just call your CNH dealer. He should have all three seals in stock.
Or if you prefer, remove the seals and take them down to your local bearing house.
They should be able to match them up.
Be glad you have a 4000 and be glad it is a diesel.
They are Very easy to split. Much easier than a 3000 - especially if it has PS and easier than a gasser.

Ok I appreciate it that's a beautiful tractor you have also that's how mine will look when I'm through what kind of paint did you use and do you know the color code

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #8  
Thanks,
I used Valspar Restoration Series Paint - with the hardener.
I've painted a bunch of Fords over the last 5 or 6 years - mostly for my buddy Ken. Used the same Valspar on all of them - Red, Gray, Blue and Buff (yellow).
But now I hear they've discontinued making it.
So now i don't know what we'll do for paint.
Hate to spend big bucks for paint despite what the purists say.
We had really good luck with this.
What year is your tractor? Does it have the early tin or later tin.
This one is a 73 by the serial # but I like the old style tin so I put it on this.
I put early tin on my 3000 too.
Here's that same photo as on my logo - little bigger.

100_07961.jpg

Man that thing looks great I buy sell and restore and own haha depend on how much I like the tractor haha I need one of those steps on the left side running board I wonder where I could find one

/ 3 cly ford 4000 tranny leak? #10  
it is most likely the input shaft seals on the trans you will have to split the tractor