1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #1  

Richard 71

Tractor
Ford 335 w/FEL, Ford 3930 w/FEL
Has anyone ever attempted this? Are there kits out there? What are my chances of finding a scrapped out one and switching components?

The non power steering is a bear to turn . Thanks in advance

Richard

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #2  
I sold a complete setup about 2 years ago. The guy who bought it had installed an aftermarket unit on his 2000 and thought it was junk.
You can do what I did a few years ago and buy another tractor with PS on it and switch yours over.
I only had about $300 in it when I was all done.
I know a guy in OH who is parting out a 3000 that I think has PS on it.
I could ask him if it has PS and put you in touch with him if it does.
Expect to pay a Grand for a setup though. That's what I sold mine for and what I've seen others go for.
I think it is worth it though.
I would never go back to manual.

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering
I sold a complete setup about 2 years ago. The guy who bought it had installed an aftermarket unit on his 2000 and thought it was junk.
You can do what I did a few years ago and buy another tractor with PS on it and switch yours over.
I only had about $300 in it when I was all done.
I know a guy in OH who is parting out a 3000 that I think has PS on it.
I could ask him if it has PS and put you in touch with him if it does.
Expect to pay a Grand for a setup though. That's what I sold mine for and what I've seen others go for.
I think it is worth it though.
I would never go back to manual.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Not sure what a complete set up entails at this point. The $300 sounds sweeter than the $1000. If you have the contact info. I would appreciate it. Hopefully he is in the western part of OHIO. Sure wish it would warm up a bit. Got pretty cold cutting wood yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Richard

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #4  
i'd sell the 2000 and buy a unit with power steering.
also.. sound slike your entire setup may need work anyway.

if you have worn ends, bad spindle bushing snad worn hubs, it all adds up to play and extra force needed. not to mention a dry box with bad thrust bearings will make a bear of it.

a ford with a good box and tight ends, good spindle bushings, etc.. should steer decently. if you have a laoder. that's a whole nother issue..

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #5  
Just about any big-time aftermarket parts house sells the same retro fit P/S kit made in Turkey. A&I and TISCO for sure. Cheaper than a wheelbarrow full of worn-out OEM parts (usually) and fairly reliable. Not real easy to fit on some tractors with loaders.

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #6  
i still think I'd sell a basic 2000 and get a more upgraded machine. probably cost you less to buy a different one, then sell the 2000, and the cost difference would be less than the PS kit.. not to mention the work installing it AND fixing the damaged components you should anyway on the oe steering front end.. etc.

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #7  
i still think I'd sell a basic 2000 and get a more upgraded machine. probably cost you less to buy a different one, then sell the 2000, and the cost difference would be less than the PS kit.. not to mention the work installing it AND fixing the damaged components you should anyway on the oe steering front end.. etc.

I don't disagree, my point is the new add-on kit is my preference over installing a 40 year old pump, steering box, radius rods, cylinders, lines & drag links.

/ 1969 ford 2000 conversion from manual to power steering #8  
I don't disagree, my point is the new add-on kit is my preference over installing a 40 year old pump, steering box, radius rods, cylinders, lines & drag links.

I hear ya. the pump and the cyls are a big part of it. many repair shops don't like handling those cyls...