Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing #1  

jdharris5

Tractor
Ford 3000, IH284
My Ford 3000 is squirting fluid out of the pinhole in the filler cap of the power steering reservoir. It goes several feet in the air so it must be under alot of pressure. I had pulled the hood in the process of repairing the radiator. While the hood was off I replaced the filter in the power steering reservoir. (I purchased the filter from the NH dealer since the one I ordered on-line was not the right size and shape.) After getting the radiator installed I started the tractor without the hood installed. The fluid very quickly starting squirting out of the hole in the filler cap. After installing the filter I had added fluid to the reservoir to bring it up to the fill line. The fluid continued to squirt out untill a few seconds after I turned off the tractor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks.

JD

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing #2  
G'day filter in backwards maybe??

Jon

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing
G'day filter in backwards maybe??

Jon

When I replaced the filter, I installed it the same way as the one I removed. The filter had a small quarter inch opening at one end and a larger opening at the other end. I installed the filter with the small opening on the top side and the spring on the top of the filter. Is that correct?

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing #6  
filter wasn't wrapped in shrink wrap plastic was it.

just askin.

I saw a cartridge filter installed that way one time...

No, I removed the shrink wrap before installing.

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing #8  
what does she do with no filter installed?

I haven't tried that yet, but I will give it a try. The Power Steering fluid was leaking from the reservoir before I changed the filter. It just wasn't as dramatically obvious as it is with the hood removed.

/ Ford 3000 power steering reservoir overflowing #10  
does the ps itself work?