Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4100 Engine Blown

I was moving snow with my 4100 this morning, lugging it down pushing up hill, and I noticed a tone change in the engine, then a lot of smoke coming out the breather, I quit and headed for the house, the noise getting louder, and the oil dipstick blew out. It finally got so bad I parked it beside the road. In retrospect, I had noticed a lot of uncharacteristic smoke on start up the last couple of times. It's been a smoker the whole time I've had it, over 29 years, so i didn't think too much of it.

I know it's toast, but any guesses as to what let go? Now I have the decision of to fix it or get another tractor. It was getting towards needing a clutch as well, but it's always been a good tractor, and suits my needs pretty well, has a loader, good tires, and 4 remote hydraulics.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550, IH 560, IH 460U, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely C10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: 4100 Engine Blown

Quote Originally Posted by CTPhil View Post
    I was moving snow with my 4100 this morning, lugging it down pushing up hill, and I noticed a tone change in the engine, then a lot of smoke coming out the breather, I quit and headed for the house, the noise getting louder, and the oil dipstick blew out. It finally got so bad I parked it beside the road. In retrospect, I had noticed a lot of uncharacteristic smoke on start up the last couple of times. It's been a smoker the whole time I've had it, over 29 years, so i didn't think too much of it.

I know it's toast, but any guesses as to what let go? Now I have the decision of to fix it or get another tractor. It was getting towards needing a clutch as well, but it's always been a good tractor, and suits my needs pretty well, has a loader, good tires, and 4 remote hydraulics.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
    You haven;t identified the problem so I doubt that you "...know it's toast". Could be broken rings, cracked/burned piston, etc It's hard to tell from Western Montana!
    If the tractor is otherwise in good shape, getting an engine rebuilt( or buying a rebuilt or a low time used engine) and putting in a clutch at the same time (you have to split it anyway) shouldn't be too difficult nor too expensive if you do the installation. Even if you have to buy $200 worth of manuals, it's cheaper than a new tractor or even a good used one. This assumes that you have the time to do the work your self. Another option would be a short term rental or lease of a tractor is you need it right away, while you get the old one fixed.
    Without knowing more about your situation, that's all I couild suggest

Thanks for the reply. For me, rebuilding the engine is "toast". I've got all of the manuals, but i think doing the job myself is beyond me at this point. I do have other tractors, so not a huge urgency, but I absolutely need it for haying. It just happened so I'm still reeling, I want to be sure that I make a good decision. I am inclined to keep it going, I'm not a fan of newer tractors. Maybe if it's rings/piston It could be an in chassis rebuild and I could get one of the mobile guys to work on it.
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550, IH 560, IH 460U, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely C10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Thanks for the reply. For me, rebuilding the engine is "toast". I've got all of the manuals, but i think doing the job myself is beyond me at this point. I do have other tractors, so not a huge urgency, but I absolutely need it for haying. It just happened so I'm still reeling, I want to be sure that I make a good decision. I am inclined to keep it going, I'm not a fan of newer tractors. Maybe if it's rings/piston It could be an in chassis rebuild and I could get one of the mobile guys to work on it.
    2 used 4610's on the lot in Pine Plains. One with loader.
    Options for supplying parts to repair yours. Call for details if you are interested.
    Rick
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

We live in a democracy, and there was an election.

Rick, do you know a ballpark on the 4610's?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

If you've had the tractor that long, you know more about it than anyone. If I had a machine for that long and I still liked it, rebuilding the engine would be an easy decision (unless there was another known serious problem).

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Rick, do you know a ballpark on the 4610's?
    Sorry, I don't. Easy enough to find out, though.
    I wouldn't be afraid of either one.
    2WD with loader and 8x4 synchronized transmission. Pretty sure this tractor is on consignment. Local owner.
    4WD with 8' frame mounted P/A blade & 8x4 synchronized transmission. Local trade-in.
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

Thanks, I'll call Monday. I did see that the 4WD drive one is on the website.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Thanks, I'll call Monday. I did see that the 4WD drive one is on the website.
    Henry plowed snow with that one this AM til he got cold & went back to the cabbed TLB he usually uses.

Just to throw something else in the mix, I'm going to look at a used 4100 today. It has some issues, but different than mine, maybe with a few new parts I can get one good tractor out of 2. Worth a look at any rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast