Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4100 Engine Blown

I was moving snow with my 4100 this morning, lugging it down pushing up hill, and I noticed a tone change in the engine, then a lot of smoke coming out the breather, I quit and headed for the house, the noise getting louder, and the oil dipstick blew out. It finally got so bad I parked it beside the road. In retrospect, I had noticed a lot of uncharacteristic smoke on start up the last couple of times. It's been a smoker the whole time I've had it, over 29 years, so i didn't think too much of it.

I know it's toast, but any guesses as to what let go? Now I have the decision of to fix it or get another tractor. It was getting towards needing a clutch as well, but it's always been a good tractor, and suits my needs pretty well, has a loader, good tires, and 4 remote hydraulics.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550 Industrial Loader, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, 7 assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely Commercial 10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: 4100 Engine Blown

Quote Originally Posted by CTPhil View Post
    I was moving snow with my 4100 this morning, lugging it down pushing up hill, and I noticed a tone change in the engine, then a lot of smoke coming out the breather, I quit and headed for the house, the noise getting louder, and the oil dipstick blew out. It finally got so bad I parked it beside the road. In retrospect, I had noticed a lot of uncharacteristic smoke on start up the last couple of times. It's been a smoker the whole time I've had it, over 29 years, so i didn't think too much of it.

I know it's toast, but any guesses as to what let go? Now I have the decision of to fix it or get another tractor. It was getting towards needing a clutch as well, but it's always been a good tractor, and suits my needs pretty well, has a loader, good tires, and 4 remote hydraulics.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
    You haven;t identified the problem so I doubt that you "...know it's toast". Could be broken rings, cracked/burned piston, etc It's hard to tell from Western Montana!
    If the tractor is otherwise in good shape, getting an engine rebuilt( or buying a rebuilt or a low time used engine) and putting in a clutch at the same time (you have to split it anyway) shouldn't be too difficult nor too expensive if you do the installation. Even if you have to buy $200 worth of manuals, it's cheaper than a new tractor or even a good used one. This assumes that you have the time to do the work your self. Another option would be a short term rental or lease of a tractor is you need it right away, while you get the old one fixed.
    Without knowing more about your situation, that's all I couild suggest

Thanks for the reply. For me, rebuilding the engine is "toast". I've got all of the manuals, but i think doing the job myself is beyond me at this point. I do have other tractors, so not a huge urgency, but I absolutely need it for haying. It just happened so I'm still reeling, I want to be sure that I make a good decision. I am inclined to keep it going, I'm not a fan of newer tractors. Maybe if it's rings/piston It could be an in chassis rebuild and I could get one of the mobile guys to work on it.
    Ford 2600, Ford 4100, Ford 3550 Industrial Loader, 1949 Case VAC, 1951 Case VAC, 7 assorted Gravely L Models, Gravely Commercial 10, Gravely 524, Gravely 5460...

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Thanks for the reply. For me, rebuilding the engine is "toast". I've got all of the manuals, but i think doing the job myself is beyond me at this point. I do have other tractors, so not a huge urgency, but I absolutely need it for haying. It just happened so I'm still reeling, I want to be sure that I make a good decision. I am inclined to keep it going, I'm not a fan of newer tractors. Maybe if it's rings/piston It could be an in chassis rebuild and I could get one of the mobile guys to work on it.
    2 used 4610's on the lot in Pine Plains. One with loader.
    Options for supplying parts to repair yours. Call for details if you are interested.
    Rick
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Rick, do you know a ballpark on the 4610's?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

If you've had the tractor that long, you know more about it than anyone. If I had a machine for that long and I still liked it, rebuilding the engine would be an easy decision (unless there was another known serious problem).

Tractor

Rick, do you know a ballpark on the 4610's?
    Sorry, I don't. Easy enough to find out, though.
    I wouldn't be afraid of either one.
    2WD with loader and 8x4 synchronized transmission. Pretty sure this tractor is on consignment. Local owner.
    4WD with 8' frame mounted P/A blade & 8x4 synchronized transmission. Local trade-in.

Thanks, I'll call Monday. I did see that the 4WD drive one is on the website.

Tractor

Thanks, I'll call Monday. I did see that the 4WD drive one is on the website.
    Henry plowed snow with that one this AM til he got cold & went back to the cabbed TLB he usually uses.

Just to throw something else in the mix, I'm going to look at a used 4100 today. It has some issues, but different than mine, maybe with a few new parts I can get one good tractor out of 2. Worth a look at any rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast