ford 8630 powershift

/ ford 8630 powershift #1  

whodat526

Veteran Member
Tractor
fords
ford 8630 powershift wont move and pto doesn't work what could be the problem

/ ford 8630 powershift
i believe the lift and remotes or working the pto wonts to spin but doesn't and it doesn't move in any gear forward or backward
also how does the torque limiter drive the pto this is the first powershift i messed with

/ ford 8630 powershift #4  
Torque limiter is a clutch disc trapped against the flywheel that transmits all the power from the engine to the transmisson, PTO and hydraulic pump(s) located anywhere in the rear axle area. If you have hitch and remote hydraulics but no travel or PTO, I'd sooner think you don't have any regulated circuit (low) pressure or flow that is required to lock up clutch packs. Probably no lube flow to the transmission, either. Failed torque limiter would disable everything except any pumps driven from the engine's cam or timing gear train.
Speaking only in theory here, I have no direct experience with 6 cylinder 30 series powershifts.

/ ford 8630 powershift
so the 8630 does have a shaft that connects to the flywheel and runs tru the trans to drive the hyds. and pto like a 6610 has
but if no hyds. work pto and trans its most likely the torque limiter

/ ford 8630 powershift #6  
That's my thinking. If there's no hyds, PTO or travel, make the front split. See figure 07L01 of the 8630 parts catalog.
If no travel or PTO but Hyds work, look at the low pressure hyd circuit.
Good luck.

/ ford 8630 powershift
do you have to split the tractor at the trans and rear center housing to remove the charge pump or can you just remove the liftcover and pto

/ ford 8630 powershift
i believe it the charge pump because with the pressure line off and tractor running i dont get any hydrulic fluided and i have good flow at the suction line