TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault

/ TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #1  

banjodunn

Veteran Member
G'day all just had a couple of interesting ones in the workshop this week that I thought I might share it may help others out

1st a TM 125 with Pto not working went down to the property with a spare EMU and Pto switch (usual culprits) checked switch and found to be out of specs so plugged in new one, no go:( so replaced EMU and still no go :mad:, so went through the proccess of checking solenoids and wiring etc and after about 15 min it dawned on me to check the alternator output and what do you know no output from a 2 month old alt:duh:,EMU needs to see a voltage above 13v to know the engine is running. Fitted new alt today and old EMU and no probs, tried old switch but it was cactus just a coincidence I suppose.

2nd a 7740 with a 16x16 trans would not move in the paddock but had all hyd functions until you put it into gear and then it would lose everything, first guess was the tourque drive plate at the flywheel so got it towed into w/shop and cleaned down thought we had better just do a quick check of the pressures before we went any further and found something odd we had the correct amount of line pressure but clutch pressures down to nearly nothing. Thinking a major int leak behind valve body we pulled the valve bank off and stripped down and still nothing standing out. So after 10 min of scratching head and looking through the book we looked in at the lube control valve into the rear clutch packs and :eek: no plug, valve or springs the circlip had broken and let the valve out into the bottom of the trans. After an hour or so of fishing around with inspection camers and magnet got it all but one tip of the circlip, unfortunatelt the spool has been damaged but will let you know if this fixes it when the parts arrive.

Jon

Last edited:
   / TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #2  
Is that an Aussie term "it was cactus"? Or a typo or what, just curious. Thanks
Jim

/ TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault
G'day yes I forget at times that you blokes dont speak our lingo:D sorry jimmysission yes it means no good. I have some fun on this side at times trying to work out what you guy's are talking about.

Jon

/ TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #4  
Thanks, I may use that sometime, or get my mates to start with it.
Jim

/ TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #5  
Hey banjodunn, with regards the 7740 repair new spool, cap, seal and clip will remedy your problem but from having learnt the hard way I would advise drilling valve body and either tap hole and fit set screw or else simply tap in roll pin below cap to prevent falling apart again!!! First couple of 40's we had this prob with failed in same way shortly after repair, valve body must've been damaged around clip seating. On models TS-A's onwards roll pin used to hold plug instead of clip. Hope this helps kevin

G'day Kevin cheers mate will look at that on tuesday parts turned up on friday but I did not get a chance to get to it, and seeing as monday is a public hol I aint goin in then :drink:.

Jon

/ TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #7  
Hi there i have a tm 125 which the pto is intermitent works fine sometimes then won't wait 5 min works again have tried new switch no diffrence was wondering wether it would be similar to the one you described above although what is an EMU?

cheers jack

G'day Jack and :welcome: the EMU is the box on your right that has the touch pad to turn on lights etc and is held in with 4 screws, with an intermittent problem like that I would be checking the earth wire that bolts on at the back of the tractor to a plate I think from memory that holds the trailer plug:confused:. It is at the back of the cab in the middle on top of the trans also check earth strap where it bolts to the chassis. Also the EMU needs to see 13+ volts from the alternator to know the engine is running so if you have a fault there it will not work. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

Jon

Just remembered I was going to post as to wether the new spool fixed our prob and :thumbsup: yep all good even did as suggested and drilled a small hole and fitted set screw to hold in place.

Last edited:
   / TM PTO and 7740 Transmission fault #9  
Hey there thanks for the advice turned out to be the solenoid swapped it with the difflock and seems to be sorted.