Ford 5000 injection pump?

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #1  

2006gmcdmax

Gold Member
Tractor
Many but mostly ford diesels or ihc or jds
My ford 5000 had a Simms injection pump and on the fuel shut off arm on the side of the pump there's a excess fuel button does anyone know about this it also has a thermostart?

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #2  
Yep- the 3000 simms equipped tractors also employ the excess fuel button, I've tried it for cold starts but it runs very rich and doesn't seem to be an advantage for cold starting like the thermo-start is...

/ Ford 5000 injection pump?
So that's all the button is for is cold starts and mine you can push it in and pops right out is that normal

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #4  
yep.. for helping with cold start.. etc.

Well sounds good then I'm rebuilding the motor now and I'm going to redo all that stuff too ford 5000 restore is the thread I just restored a 4000 a while back

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #6  
So that's all the button is for is cold starts and mine you can push it in and pops right out is that normal

Well iirc
you advance the throttle to wide open.
then depress the button (fuel shut of shaft) it stays in position
reduce throttle to 1/2
start the engine and the button pops out - and you reduce the throttle, before the engine over revs...

I just checked mine and if you push the button in without the throttle opened up the button just pops back out so yours seems to be acting correctly... enjoy the rebuild and the 5000:thumbsup:

Haha sounds good to me and I appreciate it it iv had buy all new pistons and connecting rods even the camshaft someone never changed the oil I don't think

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #8  
Haha sounds good to me and I appreciate it it iv had buy all new pistons and connecting rods even the camshaft someone never changed the oil I don't think

Why would you have to buy new rods?? I know sometimes the big end needs re-sized but ALL connecting rods replaced??

OH wow- did they spin the bearings in the seats ?? ruining the rods and caps....If so OUCH:shocked:

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #9  
mY FORD 5000 TRACTOR SAT FOR A YEAR OR TWO WHEN i GOT IT STARTED IT REVS WIDE OPEN AND WONT THROTTLE DOWN IWAS TOLD YTHAT THE GOVERNOR IS STUCK HOW DO I REMEDY THAT. i TRIED OILING THE PUMP WITH MARVEL MYSTERY OIL AND PENETRATING OIL NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING I NEED TO PLANT AND CANT. JERRY IN SC. CAN ANYONE HELP/?

/ Ford 5000 injection pump? #10  
G'day Jerry and :welcome: First off need to know which pump it has on it ( a pic would be good) and then we go from there trying to help you.

Jon