air conditioning problem

/ air conditioning problem #1  

tazewell

I have a T5040. The air works great when first started for about 1 to 1-1/2 hr. After that amount of time the output becomes less and less. The air that is coming out is still very cold; just not much coming out of vents. I appreciate any help.

/ air conditioning problem #2  
The evaporator is partially stopped up with dust and the air flow over the fins is somewhat restricted allowing ice to build up and completely stop up your air flow. Ive had this happen many times on many machines. It can be a pain to get to the evaporator but you got to get it washed out with a hose.

/ air conditioning problem #3  
G'day check your drain tubes too they can get blocked and stop the water from getting away allowing it to freeze.

Jon

/ air conditioning problem
The drain tubes were the problem. Thanks for your insight.

/ air conditioning problem #5  
G'day glad you found the fault we had a run on blocked tubes last year due to wasp nests being built in the tubes.

Jon

/ air conditioning problem #6  
I have a T5040. The air works great when first started for about 1 to 1-1/2 hr. After that amount of time the output becomes less and less. The air that is coming out is still very cold; just not much coming out of vents. I appreciate any help.

What you described is a classic example of "Evaporator Icing". The unit is low on refrigerant and the evaporator is icing over restricting air flow through it. Talk to a qualified AC Service person about topping off the refrigerant charge. Or if your are familiar with AC repairs hook up the gauges, obtain the high and low readings and determine how far out of specs it is.

Banjodunn, I thought the drain tubes were the problem. They weren't. I cleared them with air and the problem still persists. We added more refrigerant bring the pressure up to 20. I think the low pressure is 10 to 30, so we should be in the range. However it still stops working after 1-1/2 hrs. The refrigerant might have helped as it used to stop after 1 hour. Any more ideas?

/ air conditioning problem #8  
Wash or blow the evaporator out.

I have washed & blown air through the evaporator. I took it to an local mechanic for system check tomorrow.