Ford 4000, what to look for.

/ Ford 4000, what to look for. #11  
I believe that is an independent PTO, I have always read a live PTO is on tractors with 2 stage clutches.
That's entirely possible; I've not heard anyone make a distinction between "live" and "independent" PTOs, but that's not saying much. My dad has forgotten more about these tractors than I'll ever know, but I'm still learning. :D I do know that there is a significant difference in practice between his 960's 2-stage clutch and the 4000's independent PTO...

/ Ford 4000, what to look for.
That's entirely possible; I've not heard anyone make a distinction between "live" and "independent" PTOs, but that's not saying much. My dad has forgotten more about these tractors than I'll ever know, but I'm still learning. :D I do know that there is a significant difference in practice between his 960's 2-stage clutch and the 4000's independent PTO...

FWIW: The way I have always been told is you have a regular transmission driven PTO. This type the PTO goes off the transmission and uses the motor clutch. You can only turn it on and off when stopped. Each time you stop it will stop. Now with this type if you have an attachment with spinning mass, like a brush mower. If you push in the clutch and try and stop, the attachment can feed power into the transmission and the tractor will keep moving. They make an over running clutch to prevent this, it can be used either between the tractor and the attachment or I've seen some built into the drive line.

Then you have your live and independent which I already explained.

I have seen people though call both a transmission type or an independent "live" PTO's.