Low hour Ford 4600

/ Low hour Ford 4600
how much are they asking?

$8000 but he probably will take a little less. Not alot less but maybe 7500. Well worth money unless has cracked block etc.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #12  
way too much...

/ Low hour Ford 4600
   / Low hour Ford 4600 #14  
   / Low hour Ford 4600 #15  
4600 PRICE IN THE SAME RANGE AS 4000'S ( sorry caps ) here.

I usually see 4xxx in the 4-6k$ range.

and one with a possible issue? way lower.

I bought my 4600 needing lift repair, fender welding and a power steering leak fix, needing grill, paint and body work, muffler..e tc.. for a bargain basement price of like 3000$ but it started and ran good., had good tires., came with a free 6' beater mower that also needed welding and leak fixes and lubing...

/ Low hour Ford 4600
Thanks guys. So I visited Tractor House and to be honest none of those tractors are comparable to what I'm looking at. Most have been repainted, have missing components or look to be in worse to much worse condition. The tractor i'm considering is all original with most of the upgrades from OEM front and rear weight sets to spinout rims. Rims barely have any rust and have never seen ballast so calcium is of no worry. The guy that owns it is a collector of sorts and has many old trucks, tractors, cars and stuff that dates back to the 40's or earlier. This isn't a junk collector either i'm talking about high end collector with his barns being organized and cleaner than most peoples homes. So the tractor is definitely somewhat special but the question is how much special and why is the coolant low. The engine runs awesome. Very very smooth, sounds great and hardly any smoke except for split second whitish smoke color when you hammer it. Sounds like this could be caused by old fuel, cold engine etc but who knows. The tractor has set for several years so theres no telling. BUT as you guys have mentioned there could be big issue related to the low coolant. Just hate to let it go not knowing because everything else is in great shape. Not sure I mentioned it before but its a SU model which seem to be harder and harder to come by especially in top condition. Going to try though and see if he will work with me more on the price. Based on what i'm seeing 6K is the going price for the better tractors on tractor house. Those looking to be of somewhat lesser quality than what I'm looking at so may go just a tad higher. If he bits I'll fill the reservoir with coolant and run it to see what happens.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #17  
The coolant issue scares me. Without knowing why its low, or where the leak is coming from, no way would I offer 6k+ even in the condition you describe.

The 4600 isnt really a "collector" tractor. So IMO, Things like the spin-out rims mean little unless you plan on working it as a row-crop tractor.
And when you see a tractor like this http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6299377 setting on a dealer lot that looks mint, has spinouts, etc, for only 6500, I would like to think a guy could waltz in there with 5500 and take it home no prob.

You are talking about spending MORE money, for a tractor with a known issue. But hey, its your money, and if you want it, get it. But personally, he is about 2x's too high and I'd walk.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #18  
Old iron with 50+ HP starts getting outside of the high demand tractors. :) They are on the big side for a few acres especially with a FEL and too small to pull any of today's implements. If they are on a farm, start and run they may be keepers but dealers would prefer to sell tractors with a margin of a few $1000's not a few $100's. :)

Like in used RV's. etc old used stuff is VERY hard to finance so cash can get you a lot of old iron sometimes. Sick old iron is called scrap iron in these parts. A solid 4600 with good tires might work for another 20 years needing only fluids and a battery from time to time. Most are going to see 50 or less hours per year going forward.

I saw a nice 3000 that was priced at $6500 a couple years ago for sell by the same second owner who got it from a neighbor that bought it new for about $4000 last month. It was his pride that he was keeping for his own use. He is a trader and may be getting out due to health, etc but I was shocked at the price. Retiring folks around here are selling more toys than they are buying.

Old iron from the 70's-80's seem to be in a dead spot at this time. Actually 800's are getting cheaper. Maybe people need money to pay the increases in health insurance. :(

/ Low hour Ford 4600
No disrespect intended but the tractor in your pic is a pig with lipstick. I see these all the time. Dealers do a fast paint job to cover issues and problems/wear. To the average buyer the new paint looks good but the hidden issues normally start to show soon after purchase. Most of these tractors have high hours (may show different) and worn and beaten but look ok on surface. If you look closely in pic you see overspray on tires, missing cover in front of shifter, look to be wrong fenders or maybe they just forgot to put all the lights back on, no roll bar, no weight set front or rear, wrong muffler, no front bumper. And this is just what i get from the picture and from one side of tractor. My bet is once you drive it you will find its not tight and or other issues as well.

/ Low hour Ford 4600 #20  
No disrespect taken. I am just giving you my opinion. Not many 30-40 year old tractors are perfect. But are you worried about functionality/reliability?? or are you worried about everything being original?? Cause the 4600 isnt really a "collectable"....yet anyways.

Personally, I would rather have a tractor that looks like h3ll but is a good runner and reliable, than a tractor that has mechanical issues but is fine cosmetically, which is what it seems you are describing.

Again, this is just my opinion. Its hard to evaluate a tractor over the web. You asked for opinions, I have given you mine. You may end up with a tractor that looks parade ready but has a cracked block and be out $7500. Or it may be something simple and no major harm done. I dont know, I'm not there. But either way, I wouldnt pay 7500+ unless everything about the tractor was perfect. which it appears it isnt